• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed the M66 and convoy lights (pics)

Got the M66 installed in preperation for the Barrington NH old truck meet tomorrow.

It took the better part of the afternoon and the help of a good buddy but it really wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Had to remove the top to make things easier, and until I make a cutout for it it's the only way I can access the ring.

The legs are pretty easy, I had the correct Ubolts that came with them.

Getting the ring up on top of them was a little harder. We lifted it from the bed with one man standing in the cab and the other in the bed. If you can find a better way to do this I would reccomend it, the ring is extremely heavy and this method can be dangerous.

Once it was perched on the legs it was just a matter of getting the holes lined up for the mounting bolts. This was time consuming but fairly simple.

After it was bolted up I added the ammo can bracket and back rest. I have the brass deflector I just haven't installed it yet.

The convoy lights went in last, I think it looks pretty good!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You guys picked up the ring and put it in place?

Holy moly! I'm doing clintogf's with our forklift at work next week.

Looks good.

Billy Bobbed

If I had the money to get one of these from the movie Waterworld to put in the back of my truck.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoSLZP0e-M4[/media]

Last edited:
Where can you find a complete M66 turret ring, stand, etc. for installation on a standard M35? Also, will it fit a M923? Thanks
They are getting hard to find, the military demils most of them and throws them into scrap piles. Mine was a barn find and it was pure Irish luck that I ended up buying it for so cheap. I have seen some on epay and every once in a while they show up on here but be ready to empty your wallet for a complete setup (ring, legs, hardware, backrest, trays, brass deflector, traverse lock, and renforcing plate).

I am pretty sure the M66 fits the 923, the only thing I can imagine that might be different is the forward leg. I'm sure some of the 5 ton guys know the answer.

About how much do you think the setup would run? Thanks
I haven't seen any lately, typically they range in value (complete bolt on) for between 1000 and 3000. You may find some for less, or more than that. It all depends on overall cosmetic and working condition. A NOS kit will be on the higher side where a ring that is rusted, broken, or siezed will be on the lower side. Keep in mind the cost for shipping too as a kit will need to be shipped truck freight and can weigh around 600lbs.

Good hunting!!
:tank:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to install a cab plate eventually for added strength, bun no there will be no live firing from the ring :cry:
You should go ahead and install a cab reinforcement plate now, regardless if you intend to fire from it. I have a deuce with an M66 ring and I have a cab plate installed by AM General and it's amazing how much the cab flexes and groans while driving. There is a lot of weight up there and a lot of leverage. Your setup looks great!

You should go ahead and install a cab reinforcement plate now, regardless if you intend to fire from it. I have a deuce with an M66 ring and I have a cab plate installed by AM General and it's amazing how much the cab flexes and groans while driving. There is a lot of weight up there and a lot of leverage. Your setup looks great!
The ring is off the truck right now but I will have a plate installed before I put it back on this summer. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks