• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed Turbo, 12v conversion Serp belt lots more

acesneights1

BTW I know I will catch a lashing here for converting to 12v but it really is better off. The hybrid system to me seems more like a novelty of keeping it original or if you have other Mil vehichles to jump off off but the advantages of conversion for me outweigh it.
Pros:
I now have both batteries as a buffer for the winch or Plow pump
I now have a serp belt instead of the troublesome V belts
The CS130 Alt is easy to find anywhere.
The 12v starter is easy to find.
The truck now has a cooling system that has been upgraded by 300%
Cons:
Slower cranking in cold.
Lost novelty of keeping it orignal

acesneights1

BTW DiD I mention IT MOVES !!! ****. Drives like a 6.5 now not a slug. No more getting passed on the highway by Old ladys in K cars flippin me the bird...:)

acesneights1

BTW I want to clarify in case I didn't earlier, The modifications to the exhaust such as downpipe and crossover may not work for every truck. Mine has a 4 inch lift which made it easier.

acesneights1

OK my elbow and hands are shot for tonight. I copied alot of this from another site so I will try to expand on the stuff that relates specifically to CUCV tomorrow night..

jdknech

when i did my turbo build, i had a local exhaust shop build my downpipe-exhaust.. total out the door=$100 just something to think about... i used a 6.5 set up my 6.2 block/heads. and it runs awesome! did you use the 6.2, or 6.5 injection pump?:popcorn:

cshaw07

I'm about ready to toss my turbo setup on, but i may lift it first to make the whole thing easier. Could you snap some pics of how you ran your exhaust under the truck? I'd appreciate it [thumbzup]

acesneights1

Yes will take more pics. I used the 6.5 inj pump. It has slightly larger plungers plus it was rebuilt.
No exhaust shop around here does anything for 100$ . The last crossover I had made cost me 230$.

acesneights1

Well, this is why I should have just dropped a Cummins in it.
The lower end gave out.
I might cut it up for parts. I am not happy right now.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWLkw5KdVI&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]
These motors are junk and should be babied. This is what happens when you try to hot rod them. The crank will probably be next.
What a waste of time and money. I should have left it alone.:cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense to you Sir but after reading all this, I think I'm going to resist doing a turbo on mine, learning from your misfortune. That's a whole lot of work right there.

acesneights1

No offense to you Sir but after reading all this, I think I'm going to resist doing a turbo on mine, learning from your misfortune. That's a whole lot of work right there.
Well....i thunk this motor had issues before and this made it more evident.
#8 cyl had staining and the crosshatch was gone when I pulled the head so now add
10psi boost....
I am going to look at a 94 6.5td engine tonight. I aill buy it if it looks good and
Swap it this weekend. Then I'll pull the 6.2 apart and mic the cyl. Something I should have done when it was apart. This is why rushing a job is never a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks