• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a "conventional" gas-burner into a 6X6?

Towman2277

Hey all!! Had a question, pondering a thought someone mentioned once! Has anyone known of a "conventional" gas motor and tranny (ie. Chevy 454, Ford 460 etc....) being installed into a duece or 5-ton, and do you know of the performance obtained from a swap, negative or positive?? Just wondering if it's been accomplished, and how great (or terrible!) the swap was. Thanks! :D

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boyce equipment sells the bell housing for chevy to the 3053A tranny. If i rember right. they have the motormount kits too. I beleve they have done quite a few conversions. Problem is they drink a lot of gas!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasn't there a post from a guy in AZ. who put a v10 in a deuce?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think it would be a cool swap if you wanted something with balls out power for mudd but would definately get horrible fuel milage. Stomp on the gas and get all 10 tires spinning!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buddy at "Howard's" has a good 427 or 454 chevy BB engine with the correct looking bellhousing sittin in his shop, says a fellow had it in an M35 for a while till he could get an multifuel engine then pulled it out to install a multifuel. As I understand it.

Interesting concept since the 454 checy can do >3500RPM and has a good torque curve too.

promodhotrod

Had a m34a2 with a 454/700r4 for a while, it worked very well. I didnt measure mileage, but did not seem any worse, and you could go as fast as you dared. I would recommend any big block gas engine over the ldt or lds, lighter more powerful and longer lasting. Trans did eventually die, but both were well used when installed.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, you might get the award for digging up the oldest thread of the week/month/year!

Gee, technically, shouldn't this thread be moved to the modification/hot-rodding forum...??? :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks