• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a new belt on the air pump

Lonesome715

This should be such a simple task. I cannot believe I have to ask for help on something so trivial. However, this pump drive belt is kicking my butt. I rebuilt the air compressor on my deuce and bought a brand new belt for it. The new belt even has the same part number and length as the old belt so I know it is the right one. However, the dang thing will not sit in the groove on the pump pulley. As I tighten up the two halves I cannot get the belt up and from in-between them. IS there a trick I am missing here?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I taped mine to the compressor half of the pulley with masking tape and then spun up the adjustable side. The tape wore off quickly once I started the engine.

sandcobra164

You're belt is probably still loose. The way to do it is get the pulley back together and the belt somewhat on, keep the fuel control pulled out for shutoff, bump the starter and then check for proper tightness. It'll take 3 or 4 bumps to get it right in my experience. Make sure not to leave the wrench on the outer or inner pulley's between bumps of the starter.

Lonesome715

This truck is not running yet. I still have a few more issues to work out. I was hoping to get these bekts done before I am able to start it.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tape trick works to get the belt up onto the puilley in the right place. It does not ensure that you can get it properly tensioned. You may still have to turn the engine some to get the belt to walk up as Sandcobra suggests, allowing more tightening of the pulley.

Lonesome715

I have not gotten batteries yet. Once i do I can spin the engine over and hopefuly it will start as well. I am not even certian this truck runs yet.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just start the truck and it will self tighten. If there is to much slop in the belt to grab carefully push on the lower half of the belt with a broom stick or something that the belt won't grab and when it takes off as said it will self tighten to just about right. keeping the threads clean and putting Never-seez on both halfs of the pulley is a must because if the belt loosens all you need is a 9/16 wrench to loosen the two jam bolts and start the truck then retight bolts.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could a guy just turn his crank with a wrench?
I have been tighten the belt like this since 06.
I believe the speed of the pulley on the crank, the resistance of the compressor shaft hitting the compression stroke, and the friction of the belt on the outer half of the pulley spins the outer half up and tightens the belt.
Also if you do the anti-seez you will probely get lucky and in a pinch the outer half of the pulley will loosen by hand if need. No wrenches.

phil2968

I found belts that have been "coiled" are extremely hard to get up to the taper on the pulley. The belts from Napa that have not been coiled are easy and fall right on. I will never mail order another compressor belt!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks