• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a ROPS onto a m151a1

L1A1

They were done in the military I've seen military photos of it, but I can't say if it was done in a testing environment like at APG or a field mod. I think the limit chain is a two edge sword. The limit of the A-arm will help with drivability on road, but could hinder off- road perfomance. You could always stick a solid axle in under it....
Story I got was that it was done in the motor pools so does that make it a field mod? As for sticking a solid axle underneith of it, the Army experimented with that. Installed a solid front axle under an M151(A1?).

Installing rigid axles under an M151 would be as much work if not more work then converting an A1 to an A2's rear suspension.

If that's the rout to be taken, then I'd advise to simply go ahead and dump the mutt and just buy an M38/M38A1 or an older CJ or MB/GPW.
Matt

Aerialfred

ROPS in a 151A1

It is possible and pretty easy to do. You will need to cut the rear fender bracket out to put the mount in the fender. Also, take your time when cutting the hole for the rear tube and it will turn out nice. And yes, the tool box lid needs a small cut on the corner to clear the mid mount. It gives peace of mind when on and off the road. I installed one in my 1968 151A1 with the help of my brother and Dad who served in the USMC in the south Pacific WWII.
:D

fallen

Thanks for the info. I am considering modifying the rear section and bolting the ROPS to the top of the rear fenders instead of mounting the braces inside the fenders. I was told that was a perferred method for installing it on an a1. Can you advise if your A1 handled differently after the ROPS was installed an the A1

Aerialfred

It did not seem to handle any different. There is the feeling of it being a little heavier, but the safety it gives if one would happen to roll was my reason for putting it in. Had the A1 been in the service when these came out I believe it would have been installed and may have been in some cases. I have seen others installed on top of the fenders and it looks good too. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of futher assistance.
Fred 2cents

Jay Mallari

Make sure your tank doesn't need anything doing before you put the ROPS. I removed my tank in my A2 and had to undo the middle section of the ROPS to free the tank. Very fiddly and time consuming:evil: