• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a tach on the M1009

Rebelpride

I have read forums where people want to know about installing a tach in their MV. Here are pics from my tach install on my M1009. I purchased Auto Meter's Diesel Tach kit and for me the hardest part was where to mount the tach. Hope this is of some help those of you who have inquired.

Attachments

gasser

Rebelpride said:
I have read forums where people want to know about installing a tach in their MV. Here are pics from my tach install on my M1009. I purchased Auto Meter's Diesel Tach kit and for me the hardest part was where to mount the tach. Hope this is of some help those of you who have inquired.
Thanks for the write-up ... I have been looking at doing this for sometime now.

-graham

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: Installing a tach on the M1009

Thanks for posting this and the pictures I am trying to find the best place to put the rotation sensor and could not make out where yours is. I have all the items and just need to get home and install it.

Rebelpride

The sensor is the little black box on the side of the alternator, I found that to be the easiest place to mount as opposed
to the top.

Redline is listed at 3600 rpm's

ehuppert

Ha, redline is 3600? Retired military, had a low mileage CUCV as a "non-tactical vehicle" in the early 90's. Had made a trip north to Ft Drum to do a ammo pick-up and had one of our "m-day" NY State Troopers along for the ride. Once he started driving we were doing around 90 mph on the thruway. If i recall that specific vehicle had the injection timing advanced slightly... Would have loved to have bought that one at auction. Was my "personal" vehicle for about 30k and was well taken care of!

dduncan

Could you show me where to find the gauge kit? I can only seem to be able to find the gauge only. Thank you!!!

Screamin' Metal

Call your local parts house and tell them you want the AutoMeter diesel tach.....and if they're really dumb.....just go directly to the AutoMeter site........I'll go out to the shop tomorrow and get a part #, but they should be able to look it up in the book.........

kapnklug

It senses the fluctuating magnetic field of the alternator as it rotates. I'm shopping for a tach also, but I'm thinking of a Tiny Tach (like this one: ebay #330416057304). They're only around $100 as compared to $150 for the autometer setup, and they trigger off the pulse of the injector line, so they are more accurate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks