• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Winch.

Josh

I spent a good 8 hours today removing my bumper, and installing the extensions, and remounting everything. Since I didnt research this all the well, I made some mistakes that took time. But I ended up doing it all by myself, with out the aide of a lifting device. Man that bumper is heavy. Tomorrow I'm painting the winch, and going to set it inplace, and filler her with oil, and then wait for a PTO to fall into my lap.

Man that hardware is expensive, almost 170 bucks in nuts n bolts. But I used all grade 8, fine thread, with nylock nuts. Funny thing was, it was slightly cheaper then had I gone with grade 5. I dont have a camera with me, And since I've been up since 8am yesterday, I'm going to go take a nap before I have to go to work tonight. I'll try and post some pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

Josh

Nah the winch wasnt on there, but with the extenions removed, I can now pick the winch up. I have everything BUT the winch installed.

AceHigh

I am just a little ahead of you. Just have to fill the winch with gear oil, flip and install the bumper and try it out.

I have an engine lift that made the job fairly easy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can now pick the winch up.
If you can set the winch in place by hand you're a bigger man than I am. I lifted one onto the back of a pickup truck one time and it almost killed me. I won't try that again.

BofT, Tractor Supply is the best place around here to get bolts. The only down side is they only have the standard sizes and lengths. They won't have the long bolts needed for a winch install.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Grade 8 fine thread with nylock nuts" reads like an odd combination. Are you sure that those nylock nuts are grade 8? If not, the threads will be stripped out when torqued to spec.
I would use selflocking grade 8 nuts with those screws.
Just a humble observation...
Don't think I have ever seen heat treated nylock nuts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Grade 8 fine thread with nylock nuts" reads like an odd combination. Are you sure that those nylock nuts are grade 8? If not, the threads will be stripped out when torqued to spec.
I would use selflocking grade 8 nuts with those screws.
Just a humble observation...
Don't think I have ever seen heat treated nylock nuts.
They do exist. Nylon Lock Nuts Grade 8 Fine : NutsandBolts.com

Josh

The ones I used look exactly like the ones doghead posted. Although I somehow forgot to put a few things back on after the reinstall, Like the things that hold the grill, and stuff like that, So I gota put those on.

And here are some pictures I took a few minutes ago. Arnt the best, but it is 4:30am.

Attachments

wsucougarx

One huge advice for you Josh, put a piece of plywood in front of your radiator before putting your winch unit on. Also, this is absolutey not necessary but will save you headache down the road, put your driveshaft in before mounting your winch.

Josh

Well I dont have a PTO yet, so installing the driveline wont work. I just dont have a place to store the winch right now, so I figured, what better place to store it then on the truck.

wsucougarx

Sure it will work. I just used a bungee cord to suspend the rear most of driveshaft until I got the PTO's ordered. In fact I did that on all 3 of my trucks. I had the front winches but no PTO and had access to a cherry picker for that weekend. I got them all mounted and bungeed them.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardware: I don't like nylock - I don't think they are as good as touted. Besides, they are no good here in the cold! I use "Grade C" nuts. They are equivilent to Grade 8, but a Self Locking. metal interference nut. Far superior to the Nylock stuff.

Lee in Alaska

AceHigh

Josh, I wrapped up my install this weekend. Had to locate seals for the PTO, corn head grease, PTO gaskets, U joints for the driveshaft and lots of misc bolts and nuts.

The PTO gasket fitting procedure is a little time consuming but straight forward.

The bumper did not want to just bolt up and that took as much time as any other task. All in all it was not too bad for a mid sixty year old to do alone.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardware: I don't like nylock - I don't think they are as good as touted. Besides, they are no good here in the cold! I use "Grade C" nuts. They are equivilent to Grade 8, but a Self Locking. metal interference nut. Far superior to the Nylock stuff.

Lee in Alaska
I agree with you, as a matter of fact, properly torqued, there is no need for any other "locking" device, lock washer, nylock or self locking nut, the assembly with stay together by the tension in the cap screw. All surfaces must be clean, though.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper did not want to just bolt up and that took as much time as any other task. All in all it was not too bad for a mid sixty year old to do alone.
For this reason alone, I don't tighten a single bolt until they are all through their holes and have nuts started. Makes it much easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks