• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a yukon locker

Billy Bobbed

Im getting ready to install a yukon locker in the rear of my bobbed deuce with a M105A trailer bed and trailer springs.I dont know if anyone has tried to drill a small hole in the bed and run a small cable down to the center section,then to an engine host in the bed.What I need to know will their be enough room under the bed to get the chunk out and back down.Im hoping I dont have to lift the bed up.I can take a measurement but I dont know how far down the ring gear is in there. And was wondering if anyone is running a yukon and is it working alright.And when you installed the chunk did you use a gasket or silicone.Thanks

odnorth

l've got a Yukon locker in the front and rear axle of my deuce, works great l have about 600 miles on them. l had the bed off to install the rear one and pulled the front axle to install that one. Drilling a hole in the bed may work on the rear. l had to replace the gasket on the rear one and l could not get the chunk high enough, so l had to cut the new gasket so l could get it in there, put in a gasket, reuse your old one if it came off OK .

tm america

Great job.You just saved me some time taking the bed off my trailer i'm making so i can get the diffs out..If that worked on a bobber it will deffinately work on a stock deuce since the bed sits up like six or more inches higher than the bed on a bobber.

Billy Bobbed

Well 2 hours later I got it in today,a totall of 5 hours to install,not a bad job.The hardest part was scraping the gasket off the housing and the chunk.When using a cable like I did dont use one with a plastic coating.The only way you now the locker is there is when you turn a corner with a little gas.

Last edited:

RANDYDIRT

I have a bobber with the spider gears twisted out of the rear end. I want to replace them with a yukon locker. How big of a difference does the locker make in the rear when in the mud? Snow?

Dirt

Billy Bobbed

Trying to turn with a locker is not good.Its driving me nuts to turn,clunk,clunk,clunk.I dont know if I made the right move to put it in.But I'm going to keep it in for now:doh:.Haven't tryed it in snow or mud yet.:shock:

RANDYDIRT

Trying to turn with a locker is not good.Its driving me nuts to turn,clunk,clunk,clunk.I dont know if I made the right move to put it in.But I'm going to keep it in for now:doh:.Haven't tryed it in snow or mud yet.:shock:
Could you elaborate a little on the drive ability? Does it make it hard to steer? Or is it a noise issue?

Dirt

rango

an air or cable locker would give you the on/off functionality that would be best for on road use

but as said cost is vastly different

Billy Bobbed

Could you elaborate a little on the drive ability? Does it make it hard to steer? Or is it a noise issue?

Dirt

Nothing wrong with it driving.its when you turn only CLUNK,CLUNK.Its loud and you fell every CLUNK.I have a white rock drive when I make my left hand turn its tearing up my driveway until I hit the aphasphalt,then CLUNK.It takes more to turn until the locker finally unlocks.Ive learned a little on how to turn,I stay on the gas a little so the locker doesnt unlock.And their will be times when you are at a light or sign and take off it will CLUNK [rare].But for the price you learn how to use it and tolerate it.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

Did you use the side washers on the install?

Dirt

No I didnt use the washers.My locker didnt come with instructions,it was new but it was on a guys shelf with no box.I talked to another guy on here [ODNORTH] and got on detroit lockers web site,they said dont use the washers.ODNORTH has them in the front and rear.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

Wouldn't an air locker have given you the best of both worlds?

Price is a killer of that,about $800 to $1000.I got this locker for $325 shipped.And dont have to have the gears reset like with the air locker.With the yukon and detroit you use the same carrier,it replaces the spider gears.Were an air locker replaces the whole carrier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks