• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing Canvas Top on M37

blackhorse

Our first time trying this was NOT as easy as I have read in the Forum. We have a 1966 and the old top was rotten. Tools that we needed were 9/16 in. wrenches and socket. large pipe wrench,flashlight, small hammer small piece of wood 3''x6'' another small piece of wood about 3" long with half round end, and a comealong. Removed the old top. Laid the new one across the hood and pulled /pushed the round bead thru the cut out channel along the top of the windshield. It may seem to be a little short but don't worry too much about that as the canvas will stretch a little later on. Take the two cross members off of the top corners of the windshield. There is a bolt there and one also near the back upright near the back of the cab. Also loosen the 3 bolts holding that brace to the round bar going across the rear of the cab. Insert the 4 small plates that are riveted into the canvas into the 4 slots along the outside of the cross member. You may need to use the pipe wrench and block of wood(To protect the canvas) to rotate the cross member into place and bolt it down to the windshield and back upright. Use the comealong on the other cross member to pull the canvas tight after it has been attached like the first one. You will see it is several inches short and tightening it slowly to give the canvas a chance to stretch. Use the pipe wrench to rotate the cross member over and align with the windshield hole and place bolt into it and half tighten. Tighten the other 6 bolts in the back braces and then the windshield bolts. If the bead will not seat properly at the ends use the small piece of half round wood and tap it up into the bead channel with a hammer. The other beads along the doors should pull down into the slots fairly easy. After all is done your top should be tight enough for Ringo Starr to perform a drum solo on. GOOD LUCK.

blackhorse

Storm 51- it was our first time trying this. The top seemed extra small and we had to really stretch it to get it to fit. But looks great now. As for needing it, We get lots of rain here year round kinda a live in a tropical climate you know. Glad to hear yours went on easily.

FrankUSMC

I started doing this back in the 1970s, put the canvas in a heated area, then put it on. I have put on tops that were 2 inches to short when we started but after they heated up, fit right on.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

67Beast

Wow that sounded extremely painful to do. When I did mine, I just let it sit out in the sun for a while to get nice and warm. Slid right on without having to unbolt anything. A little pulling to get it over the rear bar, but not that bad. Pulled it nice and tight with the ropes on the back of the cab. Having to go through that much work sounds like it is not that nice of a top. I would be worried about the seams (especially along the back edge) ripping out over time with that much pull on them.

blackhorse

Ferroeguinologist, We purchased it from Vintage Power Wagon. We are happy with the top so as not to down grade their business. We were rookies with it and not having any instructions did what we did on the fly learning as you go.

pwrwagonfire

Mine was really tight when I first put it on as well...did it for 2nd time today, MUCH easier. Sliding the top through that front channel is the biggest headache I have...,I'm always worried that I will tear or snag the canvas!

blackhorse

I was told that the pipe running along the top back might need to be a little lower in order for the top to fit properly I notice the sides along the back of the doors were a little off. So Will be checking that soon. As for getting that front bead pulled thru ,2 people makes it easier. 1 pushing ,1 pulling seemed to work for us.

just me

You want to make sliding the canvas in the three tracks so easy it is almost automatic? Spray some McLube Sailkoat on the beads. This works great on the window glides, also. (It is what makes hoisting and dropping sails on my sailboat a one hand, one man job!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks