• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing lockers in a 5t

skav

I've read in the past that Detroits are available (or were) for the 5t axles. I also read the thread about ARBs. I've had both before in pickups and would dig lockers in my 932.

I always seemed to have issues with the ARBs leaking and seemed to have better luck with the Detroits.

When I asked around about lockers, I was told that it's not a good idea to run a standard (Detriot) in both rears, only the front rears. Something about them fighting each other and binding. Is this correct?

I get why running a locker in the front is no Bueno because the hubs are locked full time. I don't see an issue running a locker up front if you installed a hub kit like I saw in a recent thread.

I know that when my F250 had lockers front and rear it would pretty much go anywhere.

Does anybody see an issue locking all three axles in hubs were installed?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where air lockers seem to be a little nicer. If I had a better need for them, I would put ARB ones in my truck. Right now my driving is 99.9% on road. Sad, I know.

I dont know of any storys with the ARB ones leaking. What is the price difference between the two? I guess both have pros and cons. I like flipping a switch (pro) and locking them in solid when I need them (pro), unlocking them so they have better tire wear and driveability on the road (pro), but they are more expensive and are more complicated to install (con).

But since they dont make air lockers for 5 tons, I guess the Detroit would be the next best thing :grin:

Last edited:

74M35A2

ARB does not make a unit for 5T axles. An air unit was available in what was referred to as a 7 ton axle used in fire trucks, and supposedly they are similar or same as our 5T axles, but those are rare. 5T selectable hubs are expensive ($2000 per set), and not yet proven.

The 7ton airlockers are slick but yes not real common. I've had several sets and know of a few sets available but there are a few small hurdles to get over to use them. if you want to keep the ctis on an A2 and use the airlocker axles the front it's all simple bolt in work but the rears are a different story. the airlocker housings have a unit welded to them for the locker so you would need to modify the ctis rear housing to adapt that on or you would have to do some machine work to remove the ctis spindles from the housing and weld them onto the airlocker housing. If you don't care about the ctis then it's a simple bolt together swap. and the airlocker axles have 5.81 ratio gearsets so it would speed the truck up but you can use the 6.44 gearset from the regular 5ton in them if you want. but if you keep the 5.81 ratio gearsets the middle axle has a power divider so you can flip a switch and only power the rear axle.

74M35A2

The 7ton airlockers are slick but yes not real common. I've had several sets and know of a few sets available but there are a few small hurdles to get over to use them. if you want to keep the ctis on an A2 and use the airlocker axles the front it's all simple bolt in work but the rears are a different story. the airlocker housings have a unit welded to them for the locker so you would need to modify the ctis rear housing to adapt that on or you would have to do some machine work to remove the ctis spindles from the housing and weld them onto the airlocker housing. If you don't care about the ctis then it's a simple bolt together swap. and the airlocker axles have 5.81 ratio gearsets so it would speed the truck up but you can use the 6.44 gearset from the regular 5ton in them if you want. but if you keep the 5.81 ratio gearsets the middle axle has a power divider so you can flip a switch and only power the rear axle.
Cost to a acquire needed components to install air locker in 5T CTIS front?

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also be interested in one for the front if there were no modifications needed and the CTIS is not affected.

After posting, I just realized you didn't want to split the set up. Sorry.

the front is almost a total a bolt in deal. you just use the ctis spindles on the airlocker housing and you will need to drill a hole in the drive flange for the ctis tube to stick through. and you pull the differential out of it and you need to put the differential carrier halve and spider and gears in you 6.44 center chunk. I've done it several times its simple. My mud truck has 2 airlocker steer axles in it with ctis spindles and the 6.44 gearsets and we did the same setup for my buddy except we put new 10.26 gearsets in his.

74M35A2

I would also be interested in one for the front if there were no modifications needed and the CTIS is not affected.After posting, I just realized you didn't want to split the set up. Sorry.
Actually, this is OK. If we can find one more taker, it may be a done deal.....

74M35A2

the front is almost a total a bolt in deal. you just use the ctis spindles on the airlocker housing and you will need to drill a hole in the drive flange for the ctis tube to stick through. and you pull the differential out of it and you need to put the differential carrier halve and spider and gears in you 6.44 center chunk. I've done it several times its simple. My mud truck has 2 airlocker steer axles in it with ctis spindles and the 6.44 gearsets and we did the same setup for my buddy except we put new 10.26 gearsets in his.
Good info, thank you. So one needs the entire axle to do this, and not just the diff? I got lost when you said to use the air locking axle housing, but you pull the diff out of it and transfer gears. I understand moving the ring gear and such over to keep your ratio, but....