• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new knuckle ?'s

orangejeepzj

I have the one and only 1984 CUCV that has the different front axle than the other ones, i have been trying to find the spindle nut socket i believe the 6 pronged one that nodoby seems to have. does anybody know where i can get the right one i need and maybe a tare down sheet of how everything gets broken down. Any help would be great. This thing has been a PITA since september i have the knuckle and raised steering arm for it, i just need the right socket or sockets

here is where i am stuck at

sinister

I would assume that your axel is either a Dana 60 or a Dana 44 or possibly a 10 bolt 3/4 ton, which takes the same socket as the 44. Anyway, I got both of my sockets from NAPA.

CCATLETT1984

It does have the same nuts as teh dana 44, napa should be able to get you the correct tool. both 6 slot and 4 slot nuts have been used. I would take a flat blade screwdriver and beat it loose, then i would get a new set of the 4 slot nuts.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Remove the snap ring on the end of the shaft, then slide the small gear off, then you can access the wheel bearing nuts. assuming the pic provided depicts your progress at this point.

orangejeepzj

i have had a mechanic come look at it and he cant find the correct socket that fits down in there. Any other advice or pics would help as well to help me slove this problem thanks in advance

Crash_AF

I second the screwdriver and hammer idea then just go to NAPA and get new 4 slot nuts. Just put the screwdriver in one of the slots and tap it (lefty loosey) to remove it. FWIW, I haven't seen a 6 slot nut on a D44 either, only 4s.

Your picture shows that you still have some of the guts from the hub installed. If you are trying to remove the nut with those still in place, then that's your problem. As FMJ said, there is a snap ring on the end of the axle stub that retains the hub guts.

Later,
Joe

ida34

If you have a Advance Auto near there I was able to get a loan a tool kit with several of the spindle nut sockets in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks