• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instant bad odor when front axle was engaged.

I took my Deuce out for a drive today. When I got home I wanted to park in the side yard to make some room for visitors later on today. As I headed up the hill in the yard I started to loose traction. I came to a complete stop, flipped the lever to turn on the front axle, put the trans in first and drove up the hill. As soon as I started to move the smell of gear oil filled the air. Any ideas on what this could be?

dmetalmiki

Which model deuce do you have? And just how steep is your drive (or is it very loose chippings/slippery?) Why did you not look immediately under the truck to see where any oil was coming from and or hitting something hot.

dmetalmiki

Ok so I'm assuming it is an air shift. Well something in the drive line after the operation of that switch in caused the odour, So if the truck now moves back and forward ok on the level (out of 6 wheel drive) Park it up on the level and check out moving it short distances with the engagement in and out. If all seems ok, drive a greater distance out of front wheel engagement. I would perform a check on oil levels in the drive train before doing this. Check thins out on the return from hopefully no problem testing.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
TM 9-2320-361-20
6-4 and fiqure on page 6-15 is as good as place as any to start search
And me ........................
I am still looking for mutton tallow

Or better with nice pictures is chapter nine of TM 9-2320-361-34
with a nice picture at page 9-7?

Anyhow when you fix it please tell me what it was
as mine is leaking like a sieve.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Make sure the vent on the transfer case isn't plugged up or stuck shut. Mine actually pushed some gear oil out of the transfer case all the way up through the air line to the air switch and out onto the floor and my foot once on a roadtrip. The vents get plugged and the pressure is going to go somewhere. Try unscrewing the air supply line from the solenoid on the transfer case and flipping the switch with the truck running. That should blow out some of the oil that is in the air line.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking, bad rings in the air compressor can let oil into the system. When the air switch vents, here comes the oil. Usually you would get oil spray from the air tank drains - so look for that.

I just drained the air tanks, nothing but water.
What would happen if there was water in the differential and the gears on top were hot for some reason. When the axle was engaged could the water find its way to the top and flash to steam causing the sudden burst of gear oil stink to escape the vent?

red

Unless you have locking hubs your front axle is always turning (not powered) so the issue must be coming from the tcase. Have you checked to see if it's over filled?

Like Jeepsinker mentioned its probably a plugged line in the air system.

Yeah, I was just throwing that out there. I don't know much about how it works.
If everything worked I think that should rule out a clogged line. I could take it out for a drive again and try to replicate the problem and try to find the source of the stink. I have only owned the truck for about three months. It seems like no one has taken care of it in a long time. Almost everything is worn out. Every seal leaks, every bearing is sloppy and everything shakes, rattles and squeaks. I have replaced all of the u-joints, 5 sets of brakes. The 6th one showed very little wear because the seal was leaking oil all over the inside of the drum. I replaced the master cylinder and all of the wheel cylinders. The left brake light didn't work (it took 2 weeks to figure out the turn signal was to blame). The parking lights didn't work. The parking brake was down to the rivets. The front wheel bearings here shot. The left rear wheel bearings were rusted solid (somehow the spindle survived without a scratch) I could keep going on but I need to go work on the truck now.

rustystud

Yeah, I was just throwing that out there. I don't know much about how it works.
If everything worked I think that should rule out a clogged line. I could take it out for a drive again and try to replicate the problem and try to find the source of the stink. I have only owned the truck for about three months. It seems like no one has taken care of it in a long time. Almost everything is worn out. Every seal leaks, every bearing is sloppy and everything shakes, rattles and squeaks. I have replaced all of the u-joints, 5 sets of brakes. The 6th one showed very little wear because the seal was leaking oil all over the inside of the drum. I replaced the master cylinder and all of the wheel cylinders. The left brake light didn't work (it took 2 weeks to figure out the turn signal was to blame). The parking lights didn't work. The parking brake was down to the rivets. The front wheel bearings here shot. The left rear wheel bearings were rusted solid (somehow the spindle survived without a scratch) I could keep going on but I need to go work on the truck now.
At least your keeping a good positive attitude ! Just remember, slow and steady gets the job done right.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a standard Deuce. Keep after it, and don't give up. There will always be something else, and when it doesn't leak, it will probably be out of oil.

Jeepsinker

I can tell you the axles have nothing to do with the smell. They are not connected to the front drive air engagement system in any way whatsoever, except by the driveshaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks