• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instrument Cluster Cleanup

1stSarge

**** Warning - Disconnect the batteries before starting. ****
**** There are live 24v contacts that can short out when removing the dash cover and instrument cluster ****

In troubleshooting many of the electrical gremlins in your CUCV, especially the charging system, many of the problems can be isolated to the instrument cluster. Often, members will tell you to remove, check bulbs, and clean up the cluster.

This is a small write up on how I did it.

As per the manuals; Remove all dash components, and the instrument cluster. Remove all bulb holders or sockets from the cluster.

Within each socket is two “clips”. They can be removed by gently squeezing the top of the clip with a small pair of needle nose pliers. And rocking it out. Once out. You can clean it using a jewelers file, fine sandpaper or emery cloth. More cautious people use a pencil eraser or cleaning chemicals. Whatever method you use, with the clip out, you now have complete access to it for cleanup, and complete access to the socket for cleanup.

When you are done cleaning each “clip”, reassemble each socket and then bend the ear that makes contact with the circuit film outwards or upwards to make a strong contact to the circuit film. Squeeze each clip together to make a strong contact to the bulb. (see photos)

Turning your attention to the circuit film. GENTLY clean up the traces where a socket or connector makes contact, the same way as before. They should be bright shiny metal.

You can use a dielectric grease to coat the contacts to help prevent further corrosion. Also use caution using emery cloth to clean with, as it contains metal particles that can short out components.

Testing.
Using an old 12DC adapter I had laying around, I cut the ends off, and used it to test all of my connections every step of the way. First, the bulbs, then the sockets with the bulbs in them, then the circuit traces on the film with the socket installed, then finally at the connector on the instrument cluster to verify all traces were making good contact.

Before reassembly, take the time to give the wiring harness connector the same treatment. (might want to disconnect the batteries first).

I only focused on lighting in this write-up, I felt the fuel gauge, speedometer, and voltmeter are deserving of their own section. I hope this is helpful to someone who has never seen what these look like, or wanted to know what it should look like.

*** edit ***

All of the bulbs are 168s except for the GEN2 and the bulb between the speedo and the fuel gauge. They are 194s

---John

-Right Click Thumbnails and choose “Open link in new tab” or “Open link in new window” (Thanks Warthog)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used scotch bright pad on Elect for years connections & dielectric grease is an must I help stop gremnlins.
Thank you 1stSARGE.

dstang97

First thing before removing dash and cluster. Disconnect the batteries. the main harness could contact and ground out. Don't ask me how I know.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great write up. [thumbzup]

First thing before removing dash and cluster. Disconnect the batteries. the main harness could contact and ground out. Don't ask me how I know.
Very true. The 24v supply to the Gen2 light is hot at all times.

Here is my version of the cluster cleanup/repair

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html?highlight=cluster

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html?highlight=cluster

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is very true looking at the plug that connect to the cluster left rail # 2 pin is hot for Curb side alt #2 24 V.
also the gage has no contact alt 2 this alt Gage there is 10 amp fuse will go & you will loose 24 v gage to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks