• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insturment Panel Question

crazyplowboy

I picked up my deuce on Saturday, the title says it is a 1948 FWD M35A2C which has me wondering. It has a multifuel with a C turbo for sure. The motor and trans were put in it during 1992. The insturment panel that is in it now is too big and the tach is there but not hooked up. The panel measures 7.5 x 14.75, the recess where it should sit measures 7.5 x 12 making me think that my deuce could have started out as a Reo. As far as I know the Reo panels do not have a tach. Where can i get a dash that fits, and how could i fit and hook up the tach to make it look original?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can't be a 1948. I don't think they made a m35 before 1952 and the m35a2c trucks didn't come about until the late 60s. It sounds like the truck does have a gasser dash though. I've seen them take a flat piece of sheet metal and cut out all the gauge holes to make the tach fit that doesn't look too bad but the only way to do it right is replace the whole dash.

What does the data plate or better yet the frame numbers say? If it came from the factory as a gasser the frame numbers will probably be on the passenger side rail.

crazyplowboy

from looking at the truck you can tell that it is not a 1948, but how do i find out the year and make? also as i said earlier the tach is not hooked to anything, where is the usual tach connection on a multifuel?

Attachments

Barrman

That is a Gasser cab. You can see the rusted plate on the floor above the throttle pedal where the starter button used to be.

What do you want to do? Gasser gauge panel with the Tach hung somewhere else or Mulitfuel dash with a multifuel gauge panel?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Junkyard wars crusher has a parts rig for a source for a good dash. I would go ahead and put the correct dash in that truck. The tach drive should come off the front of the motor, near the radiator fan and air compressor.

JR

It would be cool to put the tach in you line of vision, maybe relocate an info plate and put it above the steering wheel.

crazyplowboy

I think I will put the original gasser style dash in it. As this is my first MV I do not know alot about them and you guys are going to get tired of answering my questions. That being said, where should I start looking for a gasser panel?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You could post his serial number and registration number over on the VIN INFO thread and he could probably learn more definative information and soldve it once and for all. The data plate should be to the right of the gauges and should say serial number or SN and Reg # or something akin to that. Would be right on the dash in from on the passenger seat. If you are completely missing that, then check the drivers side front wheel area of the frame. There are several posts on this site showing where to find the serial number off of the frame itself. You should eventually compare that with the data plate in the cab to ensure someone didn't do a switch-a-roo. This could prevent issues with you registration/titling if you ever decide to sell it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC said:
If you are completely missing that, then check the drivers side front wheel area of the frame. There are several posts on this site showing where to find the serial number off of the frame itself. You should eventually compare that with the data plate in the cab to ensure someone didn't do a switch-a-roo. This could prevent issues with you registration/titling if you ever decide to sell it.
If it was originally a gasser there's a pretty good chance that the frame number will be on the passenger side (all of the earlier trucks I've seen it was on the passenger side).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The only problem I see, is the tach cable isn't the longest, so you will probably have to find a new cable to go with the gauge pod. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks