• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance and tagging questions for DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read allot about users getting liability policies (not just the "yes we can" then when time comes you need it "oh, no we cant, should have read the fne print" deals) for anywhere from 100 to 300 a year and was wondering what companis they might be since i cant seem to find them again.

Also, does anyone have any idea of what i might have to deal with at the DMV to get one of these titled? I hope to be picking up A deuce with a Winch here in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance guys

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pick one up, with a title, and it should be easy. Where do you plan to "pick one up" from?

stumps

I've read allot about users getting liability policies (not just the "yes we can" then when time comes you need it "oh, no we cant, should have read the fne print" deals) for anywhere from 100 to 300 a year and was wondering what companis they might be since i cant seem to find them again.

Also, does anyone have any idea of what i might have to deal with at the DMV to get one of these titled? I hope to be picking up A deuce with a Winch here in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance guys
Gulfway is super simple to deal with. My deuce historic policy is $141/year. It is a commercial policy, but it has historic use restrictions. No garage is necessary, and there are no mileage restrictions.

I got my deuce from GL. For $65 GL gave me an SF97 in GL's name, and a notarized Florida dealer's title assignment, and a bill of sale. I took them, and my proof of insurance from Gulfway, to the Frederick MVA, and walked out with my MD Historic registration and tags. The title came in the mail a week later. Absolutely no hassles. No need for a LEO to check my VIN, nothing like that.

-Chuck

Last edited:

jmh4x4

i second gulfway, no need to have it garaged, every other place i tried wanted a picture of it in a garage. For tags and title, I went to a private tag/title service that is an agent of the MD MVA, brought my sf-97, proof of insurance, and bill of sale, in and out in 15 minutes. Alot easier, no lines and a good conversation. did have to pay a service fee but for not having to deal with the rocket scientists at the MVA it was well worth it.

just a sugestion, disregard any prices people qoute in here unless they are from MD, as soon as you tell an agent you live in MD I swear the price tripples for insurance.

Last edited:

armadillofz1

yeah, piece of cake. i bought mine from gem1410 up in NJ, he gave me a nj title, bill of sale and a temp tag to get me home. i spent 20 minutes at the DMV, $51 for 2 years historic. pay just under $300 a year for insurance through state farm.

dittle

My insurance agent was able to write a policy on mine thorough JC Whitney for $83 /year for full coverage. Same historic limitations that everyone else has but I have yet to see an officer even act like he's going to pull me over in my Deuce.

My title here in MN is classified as "Military Historic" which cost me $151 for life (or however long I own the truck). I was lucky in being able to get the "Military" part added to the plates due to some wording in the MN laws. The only visual difference between "Historic" and "Military Historic" is that I do not have to display plates as long as my bumpers have identifying letters on it. I do have to carry the plate in the truck.

Im tagging and Titling it in DE due to me having a DE licence and only temporarily staying in MD (literally 2 minutes over the line, two left turns and im in DE.....) figured id mention tht again since allot of you are talking about MD

also, I'f I remember correctly, DE historic tags have mileage restrictions, and I plan to be using the deuce as an daily driver, which for me is 80-100 miles a day.

Im plan to be picking up a deuce from decodeme2 in the next few weeks (it'd be in the next few days if pops wasnt telling me to get my ducks in a row, but guess its better that i line up somne insurance options)

one more question, with these commercial plans, do you need a CDL? I know one is not needed for owning/driving a deuce, but if you have a commercial insurance plan, would tht require a commercial drivers licence?

WyoDeuce

State farm. $170 year, liability with decent limits. No restrictions and they have pictures of the truck. They know exactly what it is and have no problem insuring it. I also have a local agent so I don't have to work with an out of state company over the phone. My policy is comercial but listed as personal use. The policy is commercial because of the weight of the truck. No CDL required. Make sure you have a clean notarized title and a signed bill of sale.

robr

hagerty insurance $125 a year full coverage but there new policy is it must me garaged and you have to send them a picture of the truck in the garage so they know it fits

robr

the underwriter told me all military trucks must be garaged due to not having keys ( even though mine does ) she also said a few had been stolen and caused major damaged

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had a liability claim paid by Hagerty or Gulfway? Writing a policy is one thing but paying on it is another sometimes.

richnewb

Hi, Rich fro Delaware. I have had my m35a2 for about a year and been through all the insurance hassles. My experience is that every one and every state is different. J.C Taylor and several others have cheap insurance but you can't use it for anything. Use policy was no hauling,towing,4 wheeling, no passangers etc. I was about to sale mine becuase of finding Insurance. I finally spoke to a state farm rep. located close to me in Millsboro Delaware. Send him pictures etc. and explained all that I wanted to use it for. I have no other vehicles with state farm and I have two violations on my license. Toni was able to offer liability coverage 100/300/100 for 408.00 every 6 months. I am adding his contact info below. I have not been through the tagging part yet. Have a light out I have to fix. I asked Toni about sharing his info and he was all for it. Let him know that Rich from Delmar said to call him. Hope this helps.

Tony DiPietro
Ph: 302-934-8083
Fax: 302-934-9829
Email: anthony.dipietro.qwmg@statefarm.com
Virgil Ellwanger's State Farm Office
29787 John J Williams Hwy.
Millsboro, DE, 19966

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richnewb is correct, almost every state is different.

My policy from Gulfway is $178/year and I have historical plates for $27 that last 50 years.
They have a bunch of pics of the truck for their record.

Works for me.

steve

saddamsnightmare

March 20th, 2010.

Deuce and a half dragon:

I can't speak for Delaware, but Nationwide Mutual has a County Colonial Division that insures my deuce and a half and my Unimog with no mileage, garage or use restrictions. They charge me less for these two vehicles then they do my wife's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, because deuces and Unimogs rarely flip over (like other 4X4's) and they generally win the dent contest with civillian vehicles. My deuce is registered as a Pickup 13500/23500 Lbs tare and gross and the Unimog is 6100/9100 ditto. The "Commercial" part of the insurance in most states is due to the vehicles being over 8400/10001 lbs gross weights.

Good luck and happy motoring,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan;)

CMS

Hey Gents,... or ladies?

Just bought my deuce and signed up for SS. I'm having similar issues finding insurance. Im in Nevada, and don't have a tall enough garage...yet. I got a quote from State Farm and they want $599 for six months for just liability. Is it just me or is that some bull****. I'm currently waiting for Gulfway to get back to me with a quote but its for a collector truck, would I still be able to take this beast up in the mountains/ get fire wood/ haul random heavy objects? It says at the bottom of the form that its for going to parades etc. Or would it be better to go with "transporter" insurance from Gulfway? Btw Ive tried almost everyone I can think of and havent gotten any appealing offers, most say they cant insure anything that heavy or MV's. Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks