• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance for M35A2 in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terexts

I have been trying for a week trying to find someone that would insure my truck. I've tried State Farm, Progressive, Geico, Gulfway, and a few others. I've tried commerial and non commerial with no luck. I don't want to keep putting money into the truck and not be able to get it insured. I've been honest to the insurance companies, not trying to lie to get insurance. I've been through a few insurance brokers also and no luck. I know there's a lot of insurance info on here and I've read through a lot of post and nothing really helping me. Now, I'm asking help from the SS community as a last resort. If I could find a insurance broker who has dealt with a M35, it would be very helpful.

Thanks, Justin

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Shoot, you PM'd me and I totally spaced out and forgot to respond. I really apologize.

I have used State Farm in the past, the agent I used was Steven Watson, although I never met him.

Steven Watson - Insurance Agent

They really had a hard time with it and I was never sure they understood what it was, even after showing them a picture of it.

Also, check your PM's.

Terexts

Thanks for the quick replies! I've been making phone calls all day trying to find someone. Geico said they required a CDL for aleast a year on that kind of truck, even though its not required by the state. Hopefully I'll find someone.

Bill W

State Farm did mine here in Georgia when I first got it then they canceled it because of the rusted out bed, said truck was in bad (unrestored ) shape. After I got done repainting it ( and new bed ) I reapllied they insured it no problem. I've also used J.C.Taylor Ins on my past Mil vehicles Welcome to J.C. Taylor

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is insured by State Farm in Georgia with no problems. It is a commercial policy for non-commercial use. The agent had to call the district office to get the price quote. It was reasonable. I also received a quote from Progressive.

My State Farm agent is Susan Devries at 321 N. Main Street
Hiawassee, Georgia 30546 Tel: 706-896-6106.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Justin,

I went through my Nationwide agent here in Orlando. Call Julie at 407-682-6800. She got it insured thru another independent. It is $107 a year. Great coverage. I am out of town until Thursday and don't have the company she used. I insured it as a 71 Kaiser Jeep military truck as an antique. I can drive it 7500 miles a year. I keep it at a towing business in a locked compound. He charges $20 a month. I cannot work on it there because of his insurance. It is only a couple of miles from my house. When I have it at the house, I could charge admission! Everyone stops to look and wants a ride!
I do not carry collision on it. She said if I hit something, it would be cheaper to buy a scraper for the bumper!
DH

Terexts

Thanks everyone for the help. I am currently waiting call backs from a couple of agents and see what they say. I'm just going down the list you all have for me, so I'm sure I'll get this taking care of soon.

Silverback

Farm Bureau did all of mine, liability only policy as a farm vehicle, commercial type, 50.00 every 6 months per truck. They didn't limit the miles but did ask if I would bring at least one of them by so they could look at one, even the girls up front thought they were "cool".

Terexts

Well, I have recieved a quote from the State Farm agent. Full coverage is going to be $141 mo. and they need to take pictures of it. Still waiting for other agents to call me back. Hartford told me they couldn't cover the truck cause of its weight. It's all bout who you talk to, thats for sure! I've called a couple of local State Farm agents and all have different reasons why they can't insure it, except for that one.

I don't claim to know everything about insuring these vehicles, but I spent a good two hours on the phone with multiple insurance companies yesterday and I wanted to share the information. Looking over the site, I think there are some individuals who may be carrying an incorrect policy and it could come back and bite them should they ever have to submit a claim.

USAA requires a commercial policy (through Progressive) when the vehicle is rated over 1 ton or 10,000lb GVWR. Texas law places the limitation at 25,000lbs. USAA has instated these restrictions to keep premiums as low as possible for private policy holders. The same holds true for State Farm. Anyone who has an Antique/Collector's policy through their insurance company must realize that (usually) the truck cannot be driven more than 1,000mi/year, be used to haul anything, be driven for recreational purposes (parades/shows only), or stored anywhere other than an enclosed and locked facility.

I asked Progressive why my vehicle was categorized for "Farm" use on my commercial policy - they are using this category as a catch-all. They used to turn away MV owners altogether. I spoke with a senior underwriter (from State Farm, not my insurer) and he assured me that my commercial policy was the only way I would be covered if I submitted a claim for an accident that occurred on the road, as long as my vehicle is street legal and I am not using it for business purposes.

There is another consideration when carrying a commercial policy - radius. Companies are charged premiums based on the range they travel. My policy is on a 50-mile radius, but I am allowed 4 trips/year outside of the radius. I can take the Deuce 1,000 miles away, four times a year, and be covered.

I hope this clears some things up. It sounds like some people may be carrying an antique policy for the cheap premiums, but please ensure you are within the usage limitations if you choose to do so.

paulfarber

Most insurance agents are little more than keyboard monkeys. SO whatever they tell you, be vary wary.

State Farm covers deuces for less than $200/year, under their commercial policy. Mine is a $300k/$100k policy for $89/6 mo. It clearly states the wight and that its a 'cargo truck'. They have pictures also.

I think there are some terms that you have to be careful of... make sure they understand its for private use only. Beat that into their head... if they check the wrong box on the online form they are blindly filling out then you will get one of these ridiculous $2000 / year quotes. And make sure that you don't get collision/comprehensive under/uninsured motorists... a deuce is $1500-$3000 to replace... why spend that PER YEAR for coverage that they will not pay on (remember if the damages are more than the book value then they pay out whatever is LESS).

As for them not covering the truck after an accident... that would be hard for them to pull off. As long as you are truthful about the weight and use and made no fraudulent statements they policy is valid. THey can *say* they will not cover an accident, but that's what lawyers are for.

Way to many people have State Farm and pay less than $200/year for it to be a fluke.

And Hagery et al are for antique/historic vehicles that are not driven often.... you are more likely to get denied through them becuase their policy CLEARLY limits use and storage. My 42 jeep is insured through American Collectors in NJ and is registered as an antique.... can only drive it one day a week, to/from events, no cargo, must be garaged blah blah blah. DO those terms fit your deuce usage???? If not than stay away from collectors/antique insurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.