• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvinitis

So my insurance company, the one I work for... is giving me a hard time about my M1008.

First, they ran the vin and wanted to know if it was right as it came back as a Postal/Military vehicle. I said, yeah, it is a surplus pickup. Now underwriting wants to know if I will be able to get it plated... I said yeah, it is "street legal" it is simply a K30 with a 5.2L diesel... that is painted "funny".

Any one else have trouble with their CUCV's getting insured?

m4A1

My first cucv did not have much problem and got it recorded right, the second one came out as a c30 so I had them correct it. Funny thing was the first one was still there and they still had problems with the second one. Wouldn't you think they would just copy the info from the first?

AJMBLAZER

Yeah but just getting them to actually sit down and work through the VIN and realize it was just a regular '86 K30 pickup. They'd throw it in their computer and one of the numerals would throw off their "civilian only" system and then I'd get a phone call. Took two sets of pictures and after that they were happy.

The Secretary of State's office was even more fun...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or is it because it is a mil-veh in wisconsin??? was that ever resolved?

Tibby

I have mine insured through State Farm. The real problem I had was getting in registered in Illinois. I got mine from Boyce Equipment. They included the SF97. The Secretary of State (DMV) people here had never seen an SF97. The guy I worked with had to go back and forth with other people and finally gave the SF97 back to me and said to go get something I could sign. I had to send the SF 97 back to Boyce so they could get a Utah title for me. I also had to have a Secretary of State police officer personally visit to verify the VIN. If I remember correctly, my Illinois title says it is a D30 mail truck. I didn't really care what they called it, so long as I could have it. State Farm did send me a form letter a few times, asking if the VIN was correct. Afer I said yes enough times, I stopped getting those.

JohnFire

The only problem I had was when I came back to the states, and I got progressive insurance. It was fine for awhile but they then came back and stated they couldn't insure my vehicle cause the vin wouldn't show up. I explained that it was a former military truck. They said they couldn't insure a vehicle of that size, I told them it was the same as a civilian k5 blazer. They kept saying that since it was a military truck they couldn't insure a big military truck. After over a week of fighting with them I told them to shove it and I got insured through USAA. No problems at all and they even said they insure lots of former military trucks. Been with them ever since. Soon I will get my SF97 back from GL and I hope I have no problems registering the M1028

AJMBLAZER

Isn't Gulfway more collectors' insurance than daily driver insurance?

There's no reason he shouldn't be able to get regular auto insurance on a M1009. It's just a K5 Blazer with a fancy paint job.

Melvinitis

I am just glad I am not the only one who has had to explain more than once, that it is simply a pick up with a different paint job. I am curious what will happen with the DMV. One of our company commanders is at the DMV, so I think I might give him a call, see if he can process this for me, he knows what it is and likly will not have a problem getting it in.

I don't think you should have a problem at the DMV. I just registered it as a multicolored Chevy K30 diesel. It was registered without issue. But your DMV friend should make it nice and easy too.

AJMBLAZER

My SoS (Michigan equivalent of the DMV) visit took me taking the VIN book from the guy and finding it for him. He was the stereotypical government employee though...

Mgood

That is odd that someone posted having problems with Progressive. I recently insured my M1009 with Progressive and had no problems at all. I gave them the VIN and they were able to pull it up in their computer as a Military Blazer. I have it insured as a non primary vehicle with liability insurance only. It only increased my monthly payment by $12. It was no different than if I had bought any other new car.

Croatan_Kid

We have NC Farm Bureau Insurance. Other than a letter asking if the VIN was right, that was it. I told them it was a K30 and that was that, I don't see why it being a former military vehicle should change anything. I never did tell them I lifted it though....are you supposed to? :roll:

JohnFire

Mgood, I had the problems in early 2002. They had been insuring it since Sept 01 till then system popped something up they didn't like. Was your vehicle previously owned or did you get it directly from the military. Also my M1009 came from europe. I bought it at an auction in Kaiserslautern, and picked it up in Manheim Germany. I can't even remember what paperwork the Mil gave me for the title. Pretty sure it wasn't a SF97. I had no problems registering it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
WV DMV only problem was I had a new employee in training who kept having to ask every question to the woman at the next window over but she was very appologetic about it.

USAA insurance, they just asked me to take a front and rear quarter view picture and email it to them so they knew what they were insuring but after that no problem.

In both cases I told them it is a M1009 CUCV military truck similar to a Chevy K30 Blazer but operates on a 24 volt military electical system rather than a civilian 12 volt (I know, I know but this tends to give them some kind of technical info that makes them do an "Oh, OK").

AJMBLAZER

Croatan_Kid said:
We have NC Farm Bureau Insurance. Other than a letter asking if the VIN was right, that was it. I told them it was a K30 and that was that, I don't see why it being a former military vehicle should change anything. I never did tell them I lifted it though....are you supposed to? :roll:
They have a different VIN than the civilian trucks. One of the letters designates government purchase instead of something else. A lot of the more simplistic "civilian only" VIN database software doesn't have the government numeral in it and throws up an error when it tries to read it.

You don't have to tell your insurance company about any modifications but if you don't they might not reimburse you for any of it should an accident occur.
However some companies won't even insure modified vehicles...ask me how I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks