• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance raised my premium for a really dumb reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexAndy

I had to get insurance before I could register or title the vehicle. So I went ahead and did so and just threw a wild guess as to the age of the vehicle. I told the insurance company that it was made in 1966.

Well, I then got the actual year from Carnac. So I put that (1970) on the SF97 and titled it as such and sent a copy of the title to the insurance company.

They send me a letter raising my premium by $38 + $9 processing fee because of the info change. This is several months after I immediately paid the entire 6 month premium of $223.50, of course. So it was an "unpaid balance" notice, too.

So I emailed them and asked what the deal was and they said that the change in year changed the "rating symbol." So now, instead of $223.50/6 months, it's $261.50/6 months. What a bunch of BS...

Just so you guys know, a 1966 deuce is less risky than a 1970 deuce. :roll: Remember that, when you go to title these things...

BugEyeBear

I'm guessing that "book value" for a '66 is lower than "book value" for a '70.

HOPEFULLY you'll never have to find out!

Insurance Agents are always looking for a way to get an extra buck out of you.
My M38-A1 Jeep was insured in Michigan for about $50/year because my agent there classified it as a "classic".
I moved to GA & when I went to transfer my policy the rate jumped to almost $400!
I protested, but they insisted that the Jeep didn't qualify as a "classic" becaiuse it has a different engine in it, a full rollcage, & a winch on it.
After weeks of going back & forth I simply stated that IF this was how they were going to treat a long-time customer (with no claims ever) I would take my 4 car policies & my home owner's policy to another insurance company.
They then agreed that the Jeep is a "classic".

Status
Not open for further replies.