• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance situation is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner0311

Since I switched from Deuces to 5 Tons I have found a problem. The insurance
agencies insist on treating my truck as a "Commercial Vehicle", even though I keep
insisting it never was a commercial vehicle and is now for private use! They don't care. It have it insured, but much more expensive than it should be.

I took some advise from a recent post and called Gulfway in Florida. As long as I
would promise to only drive the truck in parades and to events, etc No Problem.
When I said I wished to put about one thousand miles each year on it for towing
my Mud Racing Truck(Private Use), the agent shut me down post haste! No way
would they insure the truck for "private use".

My Allstate agent would not insure the M52A2 period. He thought PROGRESSIVE
would insure me, and he txed them. Wrong! They turned me down too. What is
the deal? Is upgrading to a 5-Ton some sort of "crossing the line" into the Twilight
Zone for the insurance companies. They don't seem so uptight about Deuces...aua

martinwcox

I have Antique plates on my 5 Ton and insurance was not a problem BUT along with the policy it pretty much echoed word for word the MA regulations regarding Antique plated use:

An “antique motor car” is
any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club

activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and
transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any way."

The fact you want to tow with your 5 Ton forces you into Commerial Plates and insurance, basically you are going to use it.

In MA there is no Private Commerical insurance anymore like there used to be because of all the misuse. There is 'In Service' insurance which is kinda Commercial Insurance but I am only driving the truck around and not using it, an option if the truck is not old enough for Antique plates.

YMMV.

gpcpilot

Not to sound like a billboard, but Progressive Commercial will insure MV's. My M915A1 is insured through them, very reasonably. They have a website, but you may want to call them.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't say what the costs were in Michigan, but in Oregon what you want to do would cost $100 per month from the state for licensing, and about $100 per month for insurance. That's what I had to pay.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything over 1-ton is insured on a commercial policy with TN Farm Bureau. So every one of my MVs is on a commercial policy (M35, M932,M715). It really isn't that much more for liability only. With TFB a commercial policy is just a different way they write the policy and not necessarily more cost. I can haul anything any time I want with my policy. All three trucks are under $1,000 a year.

wsucougarx

It's a Classical Vehicle Policy. Pleasure driving, parades, rallies, get togethers, etc. Cannot haul a load or take her to work. At 8 MPG, no worries with the restrictions...LOL. Cannot exceed 1500 miles/year.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a Classical Vehicle Policy. Pleasure driving, parades, rallies, get togethers, etc. Cannot haul a load or take her to work. At 8 MPG, no worries with the restrictions...LOL. Cannot exceed 1500 miles/year.
Thanks for the clarification. Price is right but I can't live with those restrictions. If my trucks can't earn their keep they've got to go.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my deuce lowered to just under $200 a year from $660 for full coverage. Must be the State or you just have liability?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With State Farm it is a state by state underwriting decision. In Louisiana with my m923 it was **** no because of the weight and air brakes. I was quoted some high $ commercial with a 25 year relationship.

Gulfway in Fl took good care of me.:driver:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my MVs are insured with State Farm. It is a state by state company. What works here in Wyoming, won't work where some of you are. All my 2 1/2 tons and 5 ton are commercial policies but are less than 200 every 6 months. On the other hand all but the 5 ton and M1009 are Pioneer tags...10 bucks for ever, no renewal required. Same rules apply, club use, parades, shows, etc. Once I get rid of that **** water tank off the back of the 5 ton, it's getting Pioneer tags. All vehicles in WY over 25 years old qualify for the special tags, regardess of what it is. Last item for WY owners, be careful of what you own and your liscense (sp?). If the GVWR is less than 25K you can drive it on a regular Class C liscense. Put any weight on it that takes it over that weight, a Class A or B liscence is required, which is why that **** tank has to come off. It's also too rusty to use but that's a side issue.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish they had that here in WY. State law prohibits that type of policy as near as I can tell for the big trucks. My M1009 and 64 Corvair can get the same policy you have. M1009 is my spare driver so it has to have a standard plicy and the Corvair is patiently waiting in the garage for a restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks