• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INSURANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighter_930_aj

Hi all,
I haven't posted in awhile; been busy with day-to-day. I do need some info regarding insurance for my deuce. I want to use it as an everydayer but I can't find an insurance company that will provide the liability coverage that the law requires. If anyone can give me the name of ANY company (and location, phone) that will cover my truck I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,

A. J.

littlebob

I got a quote of 230.00 a year for collector insurance from gulfway. Unlimited milage, but they want pictures of it. I'm waiting untill I get
my rust fixed and repaint it.

houdel

Try Gulfway Insurance, I believe they are in Florida, phone #(800) 940-5010 or email gulfway@gte.net. Thier rates seem pretty reasonable and I do not believe they have any restrictions on usage. Gulfway specializes in collector and race car insurance.

By way of an example, my insurance company, Auto Owners, charged me $814/yr for PL/PD and comprehensive coverage (no collision coverage). I called Gulfway this week and got a quote of $340 for the same PL/PD and comprehensive coverage PLUS collision coverage, which I did not have with Auto Owners. BTW, auto insurance in Michigan seems to be more expensive than most states, I expect rates in AL would be quite a bit lower.

Be wary of Haggerty and other places with exceptionally low rates, they usually are pretty restrictive on what you can use your vehicle for. I got a quote from one place, don't recall the name, for full coverage including collision at about $108/yr. Only problem was, they require the vehicle be kept in a locked garage, may only be driven to collector's vehicle "events" & parades, cannot be driven daily or even used to "run errands" or as a "back-up" vehicle (quotes from the info they sent me)!

Be up front with the insurance company if your vehicle will be driven daily. Better to pay a little more up front for the proper coverage than have them deny a claim and leave you hanging in the wind because you were not operating your vehicle within the limits of your policy!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
littlebob said:
I got a quote of 230.00 a year for collector insurance from gulfway. Unlimited milage, but they want pictures of it. I'm waiting untill I get my rust fixed and repaint it.
I use Gulfway. We agreed upon a value of $5000. I pay $283 for unlimited miles. I asked if I could up my value.

"Of course, but your price goes up." If I go with $10,000 agreed upon value, it goes up to $386 a year.

And we don't have a garage. Just a car port that my wife's car is parked under.

Gulfway Insurers
12701 US Highway 19
Bayonet point, Florida 34667
1-800-940-5010
Email: staff@racensur.com

rdixiemiller

I use Allstate in Carrollton, Ga. $220 a year. Call Alisha Windom at 770-838-9449. Tell her you have a deuce and a half like Robert Miller's truck. She'll know what to do. She is great to deal with. My truck has a "Hobby/antique" Ga. tag.

firefighter_930_aj

I am really glad to have a great bunch of guys like you that I turn to for help! I managed to get coverage from Allstate for about $230/yr. Thank-you all for the input. Now, I'll be street legal.
YankeeDeuce, I am from Pittsburgh area originally and I have to be honest; I think I would have to try plowing with it at least once! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robert, do they have restrictions regarding your tag. ie: no night driving, fully restored, low miles per year etc.?

littlebob

I gotta find more info on State farm from You that have it. My agent
took a couple of weeks to tell me all they could find was an underwriter that would insure it as a commercial vehicle for $512.00 for six months.
I doubt I'll put 100miles on it in the next 9mo while I'm working on getting it Presentable. I just want to be able to drive it to my sons Young
Marine functions every other weekend and be able to take it to a friend house to do sandblasting.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My iron is reg. as historic. 5th vehicle registered through State Farm. I just called him, told him what it was, he came to my house, took a pic...insured, no problems. I honestly thought insurance would be a big issue, not only the $, but with my wife too! She hates the deuce, she walked 1/2 mile back to her suburban rather than ride in the truck! Women are funny.

rdixiemiller

Robert, do they have restrictions regarding your tag. ie: no night driving, fully restored, low miles per year etc.?[/b][/size][/quote]

No restrictions except no commercial use. This is the tag they give street rodders. They know the vehicles won't be daily drivers, but they will get some miles every year. I told the DMV lady how much the truck weighed, she said "no problem".

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So when you call your insurance company, how do you explain your truck? I hardly imagine I can call my State farm agent and tell her I have an m35 or a 6x6?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called my State Farm agent and after quite some explanation they decided to look into it! A few days later they responded and told me no problem, they could insure it. After my sigh of relief, I asked about the coverage and premium. I forget the actual cost but it was enough to take my beath away. Seems that despite what I told them they picked a commerical policy and then added a measure for safety. After collecting my senses and making a call or two, I called Gulfway in Tamps. Long live Gulfway! At $200 a year, I'm not complaining!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
littlebob said:
I got a quote of 230.00 a year for collector insurance from gulfway. Unlimited milage, but they want pictures of it. I'm waiting untill I get
my rust fixed and repaint it.
I sent pics of my truck w/ badly peeling paint & and no bed. 166 a year full coverage (based on value of 3000 not appearance)

devilman96

Ditto on the above but I went with 5000$ for the value and 300K in covrage for 138$ a year... You can easily update your policy with them by emailing new pics to be added to your file, etc... The girl Sonya that handles that suff is GREAT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks