• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymcb

"will not be used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods." does this prohibit the - I'll drive my truck where ever and when ever the heck I want cause I want to? Because if your not involved in business with it then most folks should be good with that. I could never get over the garaging issue. Whats the point, its not a porche? Garaging a deuce just to be covered by ins. seems dumb.

I don't know how you other MA guys are doing it cheaper. I'll tell you what though, the RMV will probably require commercial plates if they are aware of the weight.

If anyone in MA has a better way, I'd really appreciate a way to cut my ins./registry costs. I can't justify going the camper route, and no agent in my local area can get beyond the weight = commercial fact. I also cannot have any driving restrictions / garaging stipulations. Since I fall under the - I'll **** well driver her when ever and where ever I please category.
I am going to try the camper route before I settle for antique plates. Camper = CDL, weight and driving restrictions exempt. The van body qualifies, and the thing IS tight to the weather with 7 windows, so it's worth a shot to me. When the insurance agent told me commercial plates were over 300/yr based on weight, I almost fell over. The commiewealth bends you over on any fee they can due to the entrenched hacks on Beacon Hill and their unquenchable thirst for money to feed government programs.

steelandcanvas

I could never get over the garaging issue. Whats the point, its not a porche? Garaging a deuce just to be covered by ins. seems dumb...
It's a leftover requirement from the specialty insurance companies insuring Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Antiques, etc. It would be nice if they left that requirement out for an MV.

jaymcb

The interesting thing will be making a second round to the insurance companies once it IS registered.

I read off the finer print, the initial policy I have is liability only. At an agreed value of 10k, it's another $70/year for collision and comp. I intend to add that on Monday.

I have NO idea why a liability policy would have a garaging requirement....that defies logic!

mmeridith

Before I found Gulfway (250/yr) I was talking to Haggerty (480/yr)... Sent them pics & info by email and then called a few days later when I had no response.

During the call the ins saleswoman asked if it would be garaged... I told her to look at the pics I sent, This thing wont fit in my garage, she then asked if I could build a barn to "garage" it... Sorry no, not any time soon.. She then went on to ask if I was "going off pavement or use for military re-enactments", I said, "Lady, thats why i bought it, to take my boy out in the woods, go to MV outings & not tear up my street truck"... aua

Haggerty declined to insure if you will be using the truck for anything other than shows.

jaymcb

Haggerty declined me as well. Despite telling them it WAS garaged. They said mine wasn't old enough.

I had GL create the SF-97 as a 1985, and they said 'it wasn't old enough'.

I'm just wondering if the mainstream insurers will balk if I call and ask them if I can transfer my 'camper insurance'

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagerty's web site still clearly lists Military Vehicles
Military vehicles

The garaged requirement is why the theft coverage is like $40 a year.
My only problem with that is, how the heck can I look out the kitchen window and drool over the trucks while making coffee in the morning @$#%@#&%@

That being said, I have 1 classic car and 3 MV's insured through Haggerty all with Zero deductible, stated value coverage, and road service for less than $500 a year.
Just gotta figure out how to get the Ambulance in a garage too, as Progressive hits me for $421 a year for it, same coverage as the others.

A two track though the woods that registered motor vehicles are allowed to travel on is not off road usage.

mmeridith

Gulfway

Gulfway is the local agent in Florida for Travelers Classic / Collector insurance.
Try to find a local Travelers agent near you

BOUNTY HUNTER

The interesting thing will be making a second round to the insurance companies once it IS registered.

I read off the finer print, the initial policy I have is liability only. At an agreed value of 10k, it's another $70/year for collision and comp. I intend to add that on Monday.

I have NO idea why a liability policy would have a garaging requirement....that defies logic!
The insurance requirement for a 'Garaged Vehicle' is because Miltary Vehicles are potentially easy to steal. No keys, no door locks, no Blonde-Star, no 'black-box', etc. Not like an exotic expensive Euro-trash car. The concern is that some 'tard will hop in your 14,000lb M35 and take it on a drunken trash-the-town tour and the insurance company will be on the hook for all damages done to others. You can explain that you lock the steering wheel w/ a chain & padlock, take all the lug nuts off every night, your pitbull sleeps on the driver's 'seat' , etc. It doesn't matter. They are most worried about liability in this sue-happy society we have all created. Fortunately here in New Hampshire we have no insurance requirement. I hope this has shed some light on the 'garaged dilemma', C
:beer:

greenjeepster

I have always used Progressive... Other's have said they refuse to insure mvs, but I have had 2 insured through them... no restrictions on use or garaging requirements.

Gulfway is the local agent in Florida for Travelers Classic / Collector insurance.
Try to find a local Travelers agent near you
My local agent tried dealing direct with Travelers and there was nothing available.
Seems like Gulfway has some special arrangement with them.
Gulfway worked for me.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How the heck are you guys getting insurance so cheap? I'm pretty close to $600 a year for full coverage $500 deductable. ( State Farm)

steelandcanvas

It's amazing to read these threads and see who will insure in this state, who won't, this underwriter charges so much in one state and cheaper in another. Garaged, no garage, milage limitations, cargo, the list goes on and on. There is nothing simple when it comes to insuring MV's.

jaymcb

I went through 16 insurance companies before JC Taylor would insure me. Massachusetts has some brutal insurance rules. I got around them, and the registration bulls*** by registering my M109 as a camper. Other wise, commercial plates would have been over 350/year alone, and commercial insurance started in the 1400.00 range.

I'm still going to see if I can get better coverage, but for now I have full liability, comp and collision coverage with a 10k agreed value for around 215/year. I just hope I don't plow someone down while my request for higher liability limits languishes in their underwriting department.

BOUNTY HUNTER

I just insured my 1968 M35A2 with Progressive Insurance on-line. $106.00 for 6 months, no garage requirement and no mileage limitations. I did not opt to carry collision coverage because the truck is too old. There was a $50 one-time discount included in this price for doing everything on-line. So $106 + $156 = $262.00 for the year. I'd consider that a fair & reasonable rate. NOTE: I do not have any other vehicles or homes insured w/ Progressive @ this time. I am sure the rate would be lower if I had my 4 other trucks, 4 motorcycles and my home insured w/ Progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks