• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insurence!! ahhh

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have my 5 ton through USAA but it is progressive. I told them it was an ex MV and 6x6 and gave the GVW listed on my registration. For my 2 F-250s and the 5 ton its like $720 a year or so. I am glad I have roadside on all of the trucks. I keep waiting for me to have a flat and them have to come change it or a tow truck. ha.:beer: USAA has no problem doing the insurance on old MVs. If I put my wife on the policy though for just driving the 5 ton it goes up to like 250$ a month. She has had to many wrecks!

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google up Titan Insurance; I have both my 5 ton and deuce insured with them and they are a growing company and I like them. They are aware of this site and have no problems insuring our vehicles.
If he was staying in TX he wouldn't have a problem but since he and the truck will be in NJ they won't be able to do it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my M915 on a commercial policy with Progressive, as I use it for hauling commecially. I have my M818 and M109 with Progressive as well, but on the same kind of semi-quasi commercial policy as Wreckerman.

I did originally have my m818 on a 1mil commercial policy with Progressive- that was very expensive but they did it. I used that to get my business started.

If all else fails, DON'T say military vehicle. if you tell them it is a 1986 AM general 6x6 semi tractor model M931, you haven't lied a bit. Most of the agents will pick up key words, and automatically say no.

powersmoke18

well state farm said no!!!!! wooohooo i'm on a roll. gave them make model and year. they called me back an said goooooood lllluuuucccckkk!!!!

grunex125

Well.......don't know quite what to say about this.... are you planning on using the truck as a hobby? or for a business? State farm will insure under a farm policy.........got the green light for them. but I do have a second place that insures my business and I'm thinking a commercial policy through them will be better in the long run, I'll let you know who they are and how it was set up when I get word back.

Something tells me you must be trying to insure it as a personal vehicle.......I don't know of any ins. co out there who will insure it as a personal vehicle. commercial policy all the way I think on this sir.

powersmoke18

well every company i call wants to insure it as a commercial vehical which i am fine with. but they all call back saying they caint. its got to the point that when i call i introduce myself, tell them what i have and what i want to do, and then tell them that i dont care how much it costs just please help me out!!! ive tried personal, commercial and rv. it really sucks im to the point where i may just cut it up and sell it for parts. really makes me sad that they put me in this situation!! no wonder the world is the way it is!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that they put me in this situation!!
due to me having 2 points on my dmv record
Who put you in this situation? :-?

im to the point where i may just cut it up and sell it for parts.
Ever hear of Ebay? Trucks seem to sell for ridiculous amounts there.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not trying to be funny.:oops:

powersmoke18

gimme a break its 2 points!! its not the end of the world, dont insure this guy with 2 points but the crackhead with no teeth..... no problem!!! that makes sense. thats my point i drive trucks all over the united states but god forbid i try to insure my own truck!!! that makes sense?? now you tell me?? whos put me in this situation?? the people that make sense i guess??

grunex125

Two points is not going to bode well .......... I know we all make mistakes, but insurance co's are not the forgiving type......that's why they sell insurance, they suspect every driver of every possible scenario imaginable and calculate the risks.......

powersmoke18

its not even the 2 point thing. state farm and other agencys deny it just based on the vehical. we never even get to the drivers license numbers. they say we do not have a policy for that type of vehical.

panshark

maybe your underlying problem is your approach--you're one-at-a-timing. Look in the phone book for an insurance agency that you don't recognize from the national commercials, chances are that the no-name is an insurance broker. An insurance broker's job is to match up a client with one of umpteen insurance carriers that he has a biz relationship with. Talk to 3 or 4 of them, and let them do the one-at-a-timing for you. At this point, you don't care if you pay a little extra for their service as a broker, right?

Best thing about that approach is, you don't pay a dime unless the broker writes a policy for you.

Jersey4x4

I used Gulfway as a broker and it is actually "Travelers Insurance" I tried everybody else and none will cover a truck that big in NJ for classic use. A friend of mine has a few MVs but the biggest is a deuce and he is single and has like 9 vehicles and uses "Hagerty" but they also told me no for my M816.