• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intake flame heater delete

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could allways just leave the glow plug and leave the atomizer and just use two inverted flair plugs in it.
Thats what I have now. The motor I put in the wrecker has plugs in it and I decided I want plugs in my deuce intake too.

I know, I'm goofy.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I just removed the flame heater to day on a Deuce. I corrected my post from before and the Deuce has like you said a spark plug ( I was thinking 5 ton but we were on the Deuce). I left the plug there and took out the two brass fitting all the way down on the atomizer and put in NPT plugs. The 5 ton has more of glow plug as it has the coil on the end and just gets hot not like the Deuce that throws a real spark.

eagle4g63

I have been real busy or I would have said earlier.....anyway better late than never.

I do know what the plugs are supose to be that go in the elbow on the deuce. Both are METRIC BOLTS.....The larger one is a M20-1.5 get what ever length you can and cut it down to make it a plug length....the smaller one is a M18-1.5 which ironically is the same plug used on an O2 sensor of most any car....so those are pretty easy and cheap to find....you can get them from ebay, the 20mm you have to find at a mom and pop hardware store(ACE/True Value by us) or a bolt supply house.

Anyway I hope this does make it easier for everyone looking to just plug off the holes and not rig anything up......also I suggest a thread sealer on the the bolts.

Ford Mechanic

OHH OOHH OHHH, I know this one! I did the same to the truck that I sold to bonedoc the one hole is the same thread as spark plugs or O2 sensors (same size and pitch) so I used a O2 sensor delete plug that I had. I might have 1 more in my tool box at home. I can't recall what the other was but I don't remember getting it anywhere special. You might message bonedoc and get him to look at his it's been a while since I did it.

rustystud

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgI believe what your all looking for is a straight thread NPT . At least that's what I call them. They have a special name that I never remember. You can get them in all sizes at your local hydraulic shop. They usually come with an "O"ring , but you also can use a copper washer. The first picture shows a plug and the others show different fittings with this style thread.
Hope this helps.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am deleting my flame heater right now. I can confirm that, on the intake, you need an M20 and an M18 plug. If you get hold of one of the original military ether conversion kits, these plugs are included.
Plugging the fuel supply port at the bottom of the forward-facing surface of the injection pump was a major PITA. The steering box is in the way. Removing the smaller fuel line fittings worked with a 7/16 wrench. Threading the 9/16 fitting out of the IP required a flex extension and a U-joint adapter. Getting the square drive plug in was a pain.

While I have a super cool M20-1.5 to 1/8NPT reducer bushing that came with the kit and is intended for the ether kit's thermostat, I need another one of these bushings for the kit's ether injector. The bushing would go in place of one of the intake plugs and allow mounting of the ether injector. If you have a pyro and boost gauge installed, you likely already used the 1/8 NPT port on the intake that the installation instructions ask you to use.
Alternatively, you can drill and tap the intake.

PHENIX has the bushings needed:
PHENIX-B2014-4
PHENIX - B2014-4 - Reducer Bushing - Metric Male to NPT Female - M20 x 1.5 to 1/4 NPT - Blue -
$4.85
$4.85
PHENIX-B2112
PHENIX - B2112 - Reducer Bushing - NPT Male to NPT Female - 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT - Raw -

The ether start kit re-uses wire #55 from the flame start unit to connect to the ether start solenoid.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

When I had the boost gauge in my truck I used the same whole for both the injector and the gauge, just used a "t" the injector in the top and the gauge out the side...worked great.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Metric threads in a Deuce!
Is there anything else on a Deuce that is metric threads?
M20 + M18 plug!?

So if I get one common oil drain plug in M20x1.5 with copper crush washer I can plug the hole when the flame heater sparkplug device gets removed and be done with that end of it? I have NPT hex head plugs for the supply end.

At a popular site I can get a blue purple red gold anodized aluminum magnetic plug drain plug bolt 20X1.5 20 X 1.5mm M20 X 1.5
for 4 bucks right now.
I can remove the magnet.

So am I correct in my understanding of the flame heater delete thread?

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that the cheapo metric M20 plug is cast aluminum (used as oil drain plug for cars). So, I drilled a hole right through it with an 11/32 drill and tapped it with an 1/8-27 NPT tap. That fits the ether injector perfectly. That way, I did not have to drill/tap the intake elbow and did not have to wait to mail order reducer bushings.

frank8003, yes, if all you want to do is completely remove the flame heater, you need three plugs (M18, M20 and the NPT plug, i think 1/4, on the IP).
If you want to install an ether start kit, you need to install the ether nozzle in the intake and the ether kit's thermostat into the truck's thermostat housing.

eagle, thanks for the suggestion of teeing the ether nozzle and the boost gauge off the same T fitting. I thought about it but decided against it. Good to know that it worked for you, though.

todds112

So, dumb question. How do you know if it's working? Mine doesn't leak. It's going to start getting mighty cold around here. Would be nice if it actually works.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

peashooter

Napa has a big selection of these metric drain plugs that will fit the flame heater holes.
My local napa had the following on the shelf:
m20x1.5.... Part # 7041046, & 7041070
m18x1.5.... Part # 7041385

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks