• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intank fuel pump

Jeff Cal

Heavy Chevy - I'm looking to buy a Carter Fuel Pump, Model P406S, new or rebuilt, reasonable. For Early Deuce, 302 ci. GMC.

I can't find you - Redman1023 listed on eBay.

Please reply - Jeff

SasquatchSanta

Before I found Olympic Controls I bought two in-tank pumps that were touted as checked out and in super duper working order. Both were crap. One started blowing fuses within a few days and the other flat out quit within a month.

Unlike a lot of trucks, Rosie won't start without an in-tank of in-line pump.

I then installed a round Carter "thumper" inline pump. The TM says the injector pump's (pre-pump) should be fed @ 5 to 7 PSI. If memory serves me properly I believe it also said low pressure effects power.

To monitor fuel filter icing I have a fuel pressure gauge that reads pressures between the fuel tank and primary filter and another gauge that reads between the secondary fuel filters and the injector pump.

With a stock in-tank pump running and the engine running with fresh filters both pressure gauges register in the 5 to 7 PSI range.

With the in-tank pump shut off and the round in-line "thumper" pump running the fuel pressure on both gauges drops to zero when the engine is started.

This tells me thatt the pre-pump on the injector pump is outrunning the capacity of the thumper pump and therefore is having to suck fuel through inadequate thumper.

With this in mind I've elected to stay with the stock (Olympic Controls) in tank pump. It is my opinion that the in-line thumper pump could slow down fuel recirculation flow and cause the IP to run hotter. IMHO this reduced run-around fuel flow "might" also not keep the fuel in the tank suffucuently warm in our Minnesota winters.

Given the cost of working on an injector pump I don't feel comfortable over taxing the pre-pump on the IP therefore I retired the thumper pump when the Olympis Controls pump arrived.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks