• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercom for the deuce and others!

chris837rj

Hey I have a solution to the deafening noise in the deuce! A post earlier mentioned the military VIC series intercom. I am not familiar with it or its price but I have a good alternative. You can find used albeit old independent intercom units from light aircraft for almost free. They use standard quarter inch jacks, not military jacks, on a regular aviation headsets. They work great for talking to others plugged in and a cd player/radio. PM me if you want more info. I'll try to get some pictures on monday.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, this here is one of several threads on this subject. It all depends on if the user definate wants to keep it military or not. If the answer is yes then they would most likely go with a VIC-1 or 3. If it is "I don't care" then there are numerous commercial options open.

Welcome to the website.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The headsets are hot and sweaty in summer, but then so are thighs. Thighs are not as convenient to wear on one's head while driving.

If you go to Headsets and Intercoms at Sporty's Pilot Shop you'll find all kinds of headsets and intercoms. These guys are by no means the only ones selling out there, I'm just using them as an example.
While I love to look at the equipment on Sporty's and would love to have a plane to put it in the $$$$ is outa my league.

You can find used albeit old independent intercom units from light aircraft for almost free. They use standard quarter inch jacks, not military jacks, on a regular aviation headsets.
The thing that attracted me to this thread is the almost free (read surplus) statement by Chris.

Other wise i think I'll have ta go with Kentucky sweaty thighs, I can get military surplus and go with Colonel Sanders.

chris837rj

Almost free is still in the picture. I'll snap some photos of one when I go into work. Really the "expensive" part will be the headsets but you can pick up a few david clarks fairly cheap.

AN/ARC186

You can find used albeit old independent intercom units from light aircraft for almost free. They use standard quarter inch jacks, not military jacks, on a regular aviation headsets.
Actually those aren't standard quarter inch jacks, one is usually a 3 conductor for the PTT circuit. The insulator spacing between the conductor segments is not the same as a 1/4" phone jack/plug on either jack on most intercom systems. Also, the ohms for the headsets are not the same as a regular pair of stereo phones.

dma251

I have twice used FlightCom's intercom systems and I can tell ya that for MV's they work great. Full duplex conversations without any need for PTT.

They are voice activated, and you can also listen to your Ipod or MP3 player through them. When you talk, the music mutes.

Read some of my old threads on them. Just do a seach for flightcom on here. I don't want to reinvent the wheel when all the model #'s and such are in the old threads.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've seen "almost Free" written twice here. But no lead as to where one could find an "almost free" intercom. Any clue?

I got some 'almost free' prime swamp land for you to go along with an 'almost free' house, and an 'almost free' deuce that has an 'almost ......

I was wondering myself if someone worked as the manufacturer or retailer of something here.

AN/ARC186

SET? You better explain that for me....
Beats me, maybe I'm just thick.....

If you want to find cheap intercom systems just google "used aviation parts"
that's how I found the link I posted before.

Personally I like the aviation intercoms better than the VIC's, they are smaller, will easily connect to just about any radio or combination of radios, most are stereo, with an input for a CD or the like. As dma 251 said, VOX is usually part of the package so no PTT required and most run on 12 or 24V.
The system I'm putting together for the beast connects to a cell phone, ipod,cb and at least one 2 way FM radio and provide 2 intercom stations with a connection for an additional 4 stations.I'll post pics and schematics once I'm finished.If anyone wants I'll post a parts source and price sheet as well.

EZFEED

Boy thats nice! Great work! Wish I could find a set of headsets for my truck but its impossible to find that comblock stuff and more so in working order. :(

art

The system I'm putting together for the beast connects to a cell phone, ipod,cb and at least one 2 way FM radio and provide 2 intercom stations with a connection for an additional 4 stations.I'll post pics and schematics once I'm finished.If anyone wants I'll post a parts source and price sheet as well.
Did you get your system working? Can we get some pictures?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks