• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercooler?

Jones

Go to www.bellintercoolers.com they've got some pretty good tech data there. Sounds like; Keep the turbo to intercooler and intercooler to manifold plumbing short, the intercooler core tubes should have pretty close to the same total cross-section as the tubes between it and the turbo and it and engine, an 8" 2 row intercooler would work better than a 4" 4 row for heat radiation.
More as the answers keep coming in.
Jones

chris837rj

From What I understand of inter coolers their purpose is to reduce the temperature of high pressure high temperature air from the turbo for the purpose of increasing the air's density. Therefore say in one foot of uncooled (hot) boot air, x, when cooled you can fit more air into the same area, one foot, (x+benefit from difference in density increase). So with an intercooler we will be increasing boost pressure beyond that of no inter-cooling assuming output of the turbo can overcome drag of the additional plumbing therefore not starve the engine of full air capacity. Add the numbers and that gives higher manifold pressures into the engine paired with the ungodly compression ratio which would result in a higher power output for sure :twisted: but also failed head gaskets and additional stress on the entire engine. Good but not so good at the same time. :-x

rmgill

Chris, an intercooler also lowers the air charge's temperature with the effect that if you do NOT increase the boost pressure you have lower piston/combustion chamber temperatures. Lack of an intercooler made some aircraft designs anemic with an otherwise good performing engine due to the detonation that the engines experienced at certain altitudes. (See the performance issues of the P38 and P39).

tm america

even if the intake heats it up you still will gain from an in tercooler since the air entering the intake will be a lower temp. the intake can only heat the air x amount of degrees.the air entering the cylinder is not the same temp as the intake even without the intercooler ..an intercooler will have a huge effect since the turbo heats the air more than the intake would due to the air being compressed in the turbo .just think about it no matter how cool you make the intake the air is still going into a hot cylinder head. its about air intake charge temp and an intercooler will definately reduce the temp .:roll:

tm america

one thought i have had is if there is a way to safely eliminate the water in the intake and leave it open to the air .and then run an innercooler for maximum effectiveness . i also wonder as far as head gasket issues if they are caused more by high cylinder temps or high cylinder pressures. i believe multis have six bolts per cylinder which is more than most engines have therefor i would lean more to the temp being more of a problem and yet again the innercooler would help with the cylinder temp-egt making it possible to run even higher fuel rates safely .the big question is which innercooler to get since size is everything with an innercooler to big and you loose response to little you loose pressure across the innercooler due to it restricting air flow. knowing the stock air filter flows 410cfm would the mean you could get by with an intercooler that flows 410cfm or would you need one that flows say 600cfm since you will be putting more fuel to it thus needing more air flow

tiger422

All of this sounds like fun but whats the point if you can turn up fuel beyond what the motor will handle like it is. If you increase HP in any maner beyond a point blown head gaskets are sure to follow.
My 2cents
Jim

tm america

i think blown head gaskets happen either way . they make head gaskets that wont blow.they are called keimetic they will custom make them using a stock gasket as a pattern thats what all the drag cars use that run big hp - turbo or super charged its all the same when it comes to sealing it up there are ways to take care of that .i'm running 25psi of boost in my multi and havent blown a head gasket yet . but when i do i will put keimetic gaskets on there and forget about it they are good to about 5000hp .i would be interested in an innercooler to help out what i already have . an innercooler only helps durabilty.weather fuel is turned up or not is up to you cooler cylinder temps -lower egts extend motor life and cooler air temp can increase hp without touching the fuel rate since most are putting unburnt fuel out the exhaust how they are already. if you get any black smoke out your exhaust pipe you are waisting fuel and an innercooler could get you some free hp and mpgs

kennys@wi.rr.com

A little over 10 years ago I had a Mack that had an intercooler issue and I could bearly keep the truck running, because it over heated. It's amazing how much it drops the temp of the air that goes into the engine. I do believe we could benifit from an air cooler. I think the only reason the military didn't spec them out is due to combat concerns. It's hard enough to keep moving when the bullets start flying and if your cooler gets a hole there goes all your boost and power. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Kohburn

will be easier to fit an air-water intercooler in there, only downfall is needing another pump to circulate the coolant

saturnshadow

On the VW VR6 there is a electric water pump for the heater core. They should be cheap in a junk yard. i was thinking about running 1 or 2 of them for a setup i am working on. . If you ran 2 in series you would not even have to drop the voltage to 12. water to air is the way to go, anything above 6psi is enough heat for a intercooler.

Westech

CPL
you guys know that the intake in a multi fuel is surrounded by coolant right? so even if you put a inter cooler on it IT WONT DO A THING!
this has been talked about many many times. If the air temp coming out of the "inter cooler" is less then the coolant temp the intake will warm it up.. if it is more in temp the intake will cool it off.

saturnshadow

I see your point, but.... there is not enough time for the air going though the intake to be cooled. at 12psi the air temp out of the turbo could be over 300 degrees. So say your intercooler drops the temp to 150* even if the intake raised the temp to 200* there would be a gain.
i see this has been talked about many many times but has anyone tried it? i would love to see some outlet temps.

Kohburn

you guys know that the intake in a multi fuel is surrounded by coolant right? so even if you put a inter cooler on it IT WONT DO A THING!
this has been talked about many many times. If the air temp coming out of the "inter cooler" is less then the coolant temp the intake will warm it up.. if it is more in temp the intake will cool it off.
sorry but there is not enough surface area in the intake for a significant effect compared to an intercooler. There are many many vehicles with coolant running through the intake and even without that most until recently used aluminum or pot metal castings that conduct the engine heat better than coolant.

the question of effectiveness really will come down to the nature of the multi-fuel diesel engine. The cooler charge effects gassers a lot differently than diesels, I'm mostly curious if the multi fuel can handle a significant power increase without snapping a rod.

asside form the search for more power, it "might" allow for more air flow and lower EGT for a cleaner burn. Don't think I personally would try for a bunch more power without some internal upgrades first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks