• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interested in buying a 90 6.2 Hmmv with 59,000 miles. New guy here!

LovesAGoodHummer

Firstly, a huge thanks for your guidance. I'm trying to make a smart purchase and doing my research. Please take the time to help guide me so my fiance doesn't kill me.

I'm a gearhead at heart. But never diesels. Hot rods. Motorcycles. Engine swaps. I've always admired the hmmwv and also assumed they were out of reach.

Christmas Eve I was speaking with my girls step brother who happens to mention he has a 90 6.2 hmmwv with 59,000 miles. He's looking for $25,000 but will sell it to me for $20k. He owns a heavy equipment company and has already had his mechanics go over it too to bottom and had it professionally repainted. Four seats installed. Led conversion head and tail lights. SF half doors.

Seeking your professional opinions on value. Given it's mileage, the fact its been delivered, inspected and combed through. This would be used around the family property.

Greatly appreciate your time!

Reactions: D6T

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a base model unit with no top. Price should be 15k tops.

Just check out E-Pay to confirm.

If you want to spend that money for a rebuilt truck, check out “Plan-B”. They restore and modify HMMWV’s and such professionally and at high volume.

IMHO

Best,

T

LovesAGoodHummer

That is a base model unit with no top. Price should be 15k tops.

Just check out E-Pay to confirm.

If you want to spend that money for a rebuilt truck, check out “Plan-B”. They restore and modify HMMWV’s and such professionally and at high volume.

IMHO

Best,

T
Thank you! Exactly why I came here.

Reactions: D6T

Wire Fox

I think you're being taken for a run at that price. Those doors look like they're the aluminum aftermarket doors from Plan B. The seats are legitimately a good addition if they are installed well and have the seatbelts properly secured and you're not looking for original military design. As well, where's the top? That's one of the more expensive parts of a 4-man setup (There's no C-pillar or 4-man handrail in the pictures, so you'd be looking to spend $1200 to go and buy those).

A mechanically sound truck is worth some extra value, so if you trust him on that, it's some nice, extra value. Still, we're looking at an old 6.2L powerplant (can be fine, but a 6.5L or 6.5L turbo can be much better) with a 3-speed transmission. This is the most common drivetrain and for people that want to do highway driving, they commonly look to replace this set with a 6.5L turbo/4-speed combo for more power and an overdrive gear.

Despite the pretty paint, this looks to me like he's peddling a HMMWV at "discount H1" pricing. I'm also hearing nothing about a street title-if it doesn't have that, just walk away and buy something else. I would look to pay between 12-15K, depending on what the market looks like in your area. You can find other HMMWVs in better condition on this board for less money than what he's asking, and the cost to ship or retrieve won't be very high compared to the price of the vehicle.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

LovesAGoodHummer

I think you're being taken for a run at that price. Those doors look like they're the aluminum aftermarket doors from Plan B. The seats are legitimately a good addition if they are installed well and have the seatbelts properly secured and you're not looking for original military design. As well, where's the top? That's one of the more expensive parts of a 4-man setup (There's no C-pillar or 4-man handrail in the pictures, so you'd be looking to spend $1200 to go and buy those).

A mechanically sound truck is worth some extra value, so if you trust him on that, it's some nice, extra value. Still, we're looking at an old 6.2L powerplant (can be fine, but a 6.5L or 6.5L turbo can be much better) with a 3-speed transmission. This is the most common drivetrain and for people that want to do highway driving, they commonly look to replace this set with a 6.5L turbo/4-speed combo for more power and an overdrive gear.

Despite the pretty paint, this looks to me like he's peddling a HMMWV at "discount H1" pricing. I'm also hearing nothing about a street title-if it doesn't have that, just walk away and buy something else. I would look to pay between 12-15K, depending on what the market looks like in your area. You can find other HMMWVs in better condition on this board for less money than what he's asking, and the cost to ship or retrieve won't be very high compared to the price of the vehicle.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
I hear you on all of that and appreciate the insight! It is titled and tagged. Wasn't sure on the forums rules regarding that. I'll head over to the classifieds now. Thanks!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember what the IRS says about placing a value on Non-Cash Charitable Donations. It is an excellent measure for determining ANY VALUE, even with MV sales and purchases......

Paraphrased:

"The VALUE shall be what a REASONABLE buyer would pay to a REASONABLE seller."

In other words, over inflated egos or pride, tight-fisted spenders, price-gougers, and overly anxious buyers NEED to step back from emotions and other UNREASONABLE wants when it comes to finding an agreeable price.

And.... Praying about it never hurts either.

LovesAGoodHummer

Remember what the IRS says about placing a value on Non-Cash Charitable Donations. It is an excellent measure for determining ANY VALUE, even with MV sales and purchases......

Paraphrased:

"The VALUE shall be what a REASONABLE buyer would pay to a REASONABLE seller."

In other words, over inflated egos or pride, tight-fisted spenders, price-gougers, and overly anxious buyers NEED to step back from emotions and other UNREASONABLE wants when it comes to finding an agreeable price.

And.... Praying about it never hurts either.
Amen brother!

A quick search of the classifieds reveals that eastern surplus supply is 1 hour from my house. I think I'll be making the trek over there to look at some trucks. Is there a write up on how to look over an hmmwv? They have 6.5 v8s with 4 speeds and title starting at $11,500. Plus roof, doors, and windshield.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should also check sources like “Plan B”. They are a company in California. That way you will see what can also be added to these vehicles.

LovesAGoodHummer

You should also check sources like “Plan B”. They are a company in California. That way you will see what can also be added to these vehicles.
I was looking at them. But their starting price for rigs I'm interested in is around $30k unfortunately. I'm interested in tooling around town, home Depot runs, and firewood hauling, with an occasional camping trip to the family cabin on the property. I'd love one but that's a little out of the price range.

Ajax MD

I'd reject that truck based on the color alone. :sick:

I just bought a base M998 in 2-man configuration for $8k and drove it home, 82 miles.
Sure, I'll have to give it a thorough going-over myself, but for an additional $2k for total fluids flush, general maintenance, new seats and new canvas, I'll only be into it for $10k. That's 50% less than what your buddy wants.

I have your level of automotive experience and my wife intends to drive the M998 in the same manner that you intend to use yours.

LovesAGoodHummer

I'd reject that truck based on the color alone. :sick:

I just bought a base M998 in 2-man configuration for $8k and drove it home, 82 miles.
Sure, I'll have to give it a thorough going-over myself, but for an additional $2k for total fluids flush, general maintenance, new seats and new canvas, I'll only be into it for $10k. That's 50% less than what your buddy wants.

I have your level of automotive experience and my wife intends to drive the M998 in the same manner that you intend to use yours.
Where in Earth did you find yours? Gov planet?

Ajax MD

Where in Earth did you find yours? Gov planet?
Nah, private sale. I suspect it was recently auctioned and changed hands quickly but I'm not positive. Just a hunch based on stuff on the truck.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. One will pop up for around 10k.

Edit: Ha! I found the original auction page for mine:

Last edited:

SchmidtLegal

I got an 1989 M998, 6.2l, 3 speed, 4-man, 39,000 miles for $8500. It was running and mostly mechanically sound. After driving it a minute, I've since replaced the alternator, put a top and doors on it, lights, replaced bad gauges, upgraded the batteries, and a bunch of piddly repairs. I'm in it for about $12.5k. Street legal now and on road title. For me, getting a mechanically sound, well maintained, and fairly reliable vehicle is worth a little extra money, unless you are or have access to a good mechanic who is willing to work on it (most around me won't touch it for some reason). The color is hideous and would run you $3k to fix it. So, really, it depends on how much time, not to mention money you want to spend working on it. I'm handy, but no mechanic, and the learning curve has turned into an obsession that is pissing my wife off. Good luck!

Inspector 1

I inserted some pics of the before and after transformation of my Humvee. The previous owner had done all of the work. Original picture is from owner upon delivery from base. This is a 1989 6.5 liter non turbo charged. 48,000 miles. Transmission swap to 700R with electronic over drive. (75 miles per hour + all day), all coolant hoses replaced, two brand new Optimus red top batteries, all fluids replaced, new 200 amp generator including voltage regulator, new Smart box, all new brakes both front and back, and a 1" lift kit installed. Owner also gave me a complete brand new after market A/C system to include all mounting brackets. (I will need to install). Registered and Titled for on road use. (Transferred clear to my name). Owner was asking $40,000. I paid $35,000. Based on Planet B's different level of Humvee purchases, I put this close to their $40 - $50,000 level of workmanship. I hope this helps on what to expect on different levels of vehicle purchases and how much work you may be willing to do yourself to save money.

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I would think about what level of performance and comfort you are looking for. With that thinking money is a key factor. Right on Steel Soldiers site a wealth of knowledge can be found, and Members here are very helpful.

Take the time and log into govplanet and look at the different prices and levels of completion. There are vendors here also that may be able to help with your purchase.

Tagging the unit may be a challenge also, so beware if you spend the coin that you can use as intended.

Good Luck and starting here is a good step in the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks