• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interested in M817

Ryansanders2013

I don't know much about this truck other than the fuel pump is out and it needs a battery. Not sure if anything else could be wrong. I haven't bought it yet. I have no idea what kind of price I should pay for it. It appears to be in pretty rough shape cosmetically. But the owner told me he used it while building his house pad 5 years ago and the fuel pump went out.

snowtrac nome

the cummins pt pump is no fun to put in but it can be done with a bit of swearing I have only seen 1 fail I would look closer at the supply lines and stand pipe in the tank first. I have seen ulsd deteriorate older fuel hoses and cause them to collapse inside

snowtrac nome

I wouldn't know be advised that I paid 7 k for an lmtv that I drove away from the gov plannet yard. its worth what you are willing to pay for it but check with cummins and see what a pt pump for a ntc 250 costs and deduct that amount from what you had budgeted for buying one of these cool trucks .

Ryansanders2013

He said his dad rigged some type of electric pump to replace the original fuel pump and it ran like that for several years. Does that sound accurate? Is there any way around buying an 800 dollar part. I'd sure hate to spend good money on a bad horse.

snowtrac nome

if he is riggen an electric pump it sounds like an air leak as the fuel pump sucks from the tank than pressurizes the supply rail in the head to a relatively high pressure. I cant remember any more but its quite a bit more than the 5 to 7 psi of an electric pump.

tobyS

I paid $3400 for a non runner back in the GL days. But it was an 83, last year made and really in rather good condition. I did have to take the transfer case out for work, put in new batteries and deal with fuel lines/tank issues...and paint. Used it on a job and sold it around $10K.

If the bed has sat with water in it, not put away with it draining to the back, thus heavy rust, I'd go less. Or beat up....does it show extreme wear, dented gate, sides and floor of the bed. How long before it needs 11 tires?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid 2700 for one in about the same condition you discribe. I agree, the hose to the IP and fuel lines can start leaking air, even if they show no fuel residue. Putting on am electric pump "fixes" the problem. I would bet he means the electric pump is bad, or the hose got so bad it started breaking down and rubber got into the IP. There is a cap a little over an inch on top of the IP. Inside is a tiny strainer. It could be nothing more than thay is plugged. When I bought my truck someone had flipped the emergancy fuel cutoff. It isn't self resetting so the guy kept cranking but could never start it. I flipped the cutoff and she purred like a kitten.

red

He said his dad rigged some type of electric pump to replace the original fuel pump and it ran like that for several years. Does that sound accurate? Is there any way around buying an 800 dollar part. I'd sure hate to spend good money on a bad horse.
If that's the case then the PT pump (the only fuel pump on this series of truck) is not the problem.

The PT pump is mounted on the engine. Pulls the fuel from the tank and through the filter using suction, and cranks it up to much higher pressures.

Sounds like the fuel hoses have rotted out and need to be replaced. Here is a cheap way to verify that it's just the hoses. Bring a 5 gallon can of fresh diesel fuel and set it onto the driver side fender. Have a hose made that will run from the 5 gallon can directly to the feed port on the PT pump. Remove/clean/reinstall the final filter and make sure the emergency shutoff valve at the top of the PT pump is angled forward (as Ferroequinologist mentioned). Crank the engine over for 10-15 second intervals (let it rest for a minute between attempts). If that is the only problem with the engine then it will start within a dozen attempts.

tobyS

see "Go Advanced"....click that.

Then click on upload pictures and with a couple clicks, you should be able to bring them into your file. Drag them down to use them.

Disclaimer...I may be full of shi but it seems to work

red

In the TM's for the m809 series 5 ton trucks. If the truck has 2 tanks then plan to rebuild the fuel tank selector valve as well (couple O rings)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks