• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interested in offroading in Virginia?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am gauging interest in an early Spring rally for Steel Soldiers in the Virginia area. I found a couple offroad parks that are okay with larger vehicles, one is in Harrisonburg, VA, the other east of Charlottesville VA. Time frame would be late March or April, so this would be a warm-up event for Aberdeen, ya'll could bring out your MVs and make sure they work right at the event, and guarantee that they would be roadworthy for Aberdeen and the East Coast Convoy.

How many might be interested in a rally in this time frame in Central VA? If I can get 10 interested parties, it might be worth organizing....

Elwenil

Hmmm, if I have my Ramcharger road/trail worthy by then I will tag a long. I just have to get my 60s swapped over and some nickle and dime crap.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would be interested in something like that especially as it would be in back yard. I had not known that there were any places to go in Va. except in vacant lots here an there.

FormerNewMVGuy

I would like to go but, I would really like somebody to convoy down there with, Maybe between now and then a fellow MV'er will step forward and want to take the trip!

Srjeeper

Mike, I'd probably be in for this if it has an April date. March is still kinda snowy up here so getting time off would be difficult I know. I'd also go for a convoy down with MV Guy and any others from up here.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: VA Rally

M215 said:
Hope the trails are wide enough for the M813.
Karl
Rest assured, Karl. The trails will be wide enough by the time we're done :wink: I'll have a 5-ton of some sorts there or the 1008 trail truck my brother and I are planning on putting together

Swede

RE: Re: VA Rally

Due to me missing the RC event. I will have to make special arrangements.. Count me in...And Newmvguy I would be up for convoying down if at all possible. Guess we will see .

Opie

I'll come with the shop van and will handle all matters of vertical clearance...

Opie/P. Bunyan/"The Lumberjack"/Peter

Maddawg308: If we opt for Charlottesville, I'll need to have two extra days to lurch up and over Afton Mountain on I-64... :)

Elwenil: If all other matters automotive fail, you can come with me if Mrs. Opie declines the honor.

Elwenil

Good to know, Opie. I wish I could have made the RC trip but one this close I will have to spring for. With any luck I will have sold my Liberty that is draining my finances and have the Ramcharger going full steam by then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed since I had intended on having the axles swapped by now and not being stuck pressing out shackle bolts with a ball joint press, lol.

No.2Diesel

Geez...I'd love to go. Being So close (one month) to Aberdeen, I'd hate to choose.

How many acres is the park? Do they have a website?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the places I found was the Big Boys Playground - I haven't gotten any feedback from the owners, so I'm not sure if they are very responsive.

Found this place just west of I-81 near Harrisonburg in the GW National Forest: Rocky Run OHV area. Public land, 2 10-mile trails with lots of offshoots. Here's some details and pics I found on the web:

Access: Rocky Run is located in the Dry River Ranger district of the George Washington National Forest in the western part of Virginia. Travel west from Harrisonburg, VA on Rt. 33 for approximately 10 miles.

Trail: The Rocky Run OHV park offers moderate to difficult trail riding. Most trails are suitable for stock vehicles, but there are a few trails and mud holes that require at least 33's. The park house 2 main trails averaging 10 to 15 miles in length. Each trail has little offshoots the vary in difficulty. The trails consist of Rocks, Jumps, Mud, and Water. At the bottom of the mountain, across the Highway, you will find lots of short flat trails leading back to the river. These trails have a lot of deep mud holes. You can find a couple of spots to cross the river, but I would not suggest trying it without at least a 4 inch lift and 33's. Primitive camping and Open Air Fires are allowed on the trail. The rocky Run OHV Park is great for a 2 day excursion.

What do you all think of this place?

Attachments

Elwenil

Check with the Ranger office in that district for info on the trail. They should be able to tell you if the trail would be suitable for larger trucks. The "offshoots" sound an awful lot like they would dead end and not have a large enough turn around spot for a Deuce, not to mention trying to pass each other on the way out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks