• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interested in offroading in Virginia?

Elwenil

Recovry4x4 said:
Since we are talking about trails, I'd bet no other vehicle on earth has covered more trail and off road miles than the deuce.
I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Kenny. Jeeps (both civilian and military) have gone just about anywhere a vehicle can go and a lot of those places a big truck like an M35 is just too big. I agree that the M35 is an amazing machine but they are sort of limited by their size. A Jeep is also an amazing vehicle, especially the Rubicon and a lot of custom built off road Jeeps. They might not be military spec, but I have seen Jeeps and even the custom solid front axle Toyota Tacoma a friend and I built do things that not even tracked military vehicles could do.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see your point Lanty but there were just so many of these trucks produced. Then again Jeeps have been around even longer. Wonder how many jeeps in total were built up to their demise in 1986?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to Four Wheeler magazine a few years back, the CJ-5 series of Jeeps and their derivatives (M38A1, CJ-6, etc.) have seen more trail miles than anything else on Earth, hands down. Millions produced from 1953 to 1983, and a few other countries made them as well.

Didn't have a chance to get down that way this past weekend. I have to drive down to Syria, VA on Saturday to see Cabell Garbee to pick up some items I got in Ft. Bragg. While I'm down that way, I'll swing over west and see what I can find.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I still think my old CJ3B went more places than my deuce has been I built it up from the frame with a custom hand made body. I had to have a Jeep since my Grandfather had an M 38 on our farm and I could never get enough miles in it. Mine was sitting at a gas station and when we started the rebuild we found about ten paint brushes in the tank I guess it was relagated to a cleaning tank till I saved it. They are a great fun vehicle to drive since they are smaller than the current TJ and Rubicon's I hope you all have a great ride no matter what you are driving Virginia is a beautiful place to ride

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got an email from the ranger in that forest district, and she said that 6x6 trucks are no problem, and she will be sending me a brochure showing me the approved offroad trails in that area for us in April. Other than looking forward to getting that in the mail, I will be offroading the trails down there this Saturday and see what things look like.

Other than that - looking forward to the Virginia Steel Soldiers rally, first weekend of April 2008!

Elwenil

Good deal, Mike! With any luck my Ramcharger will still be running strong and will be up to the trip. I'd better start saving now for gas since 4.10s and 31s don't make for much highway speed or economy, lol.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, went to the AO this weekend to take a look at the roads we would be travelling on. Got some really detailed maps from a friend who lives in the area, too. It's a long hike back into the mountains from Harrisonburg to get to where we are going, but suffice to say it will make for a nice trailride and offroading event. Most of the trails, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being smooth dirt, 10 being the Rubicon Trail) were between 2 and 4, so I don't think anyone would have a problem. Lots of small rocks and opportunities for mud if the rain comes right before the event. The trail we would be running on goes from Strasburg area, running parallel to the WV/VA border, up to Harrisburg area.

I scouted out the trails in my Durango, and didn't have any problems. The side trails are a little more advanced, and I think they would be good for the MVs, but I didn't want to take a chance and blow a tire going on those side trails in my Dodge. I plan on going down there again later this month, mainly to see if I can scout out a few more of the small trails that lead into the hills. Side trails are always more fun than the main drag.

A couple pics I took:

Attachments

mhodges

maddawg- is this second mountain trailhead? my dad and i have been running the trails around harrisonburg in everything from jeeps on swampers to stock ford expeditions for the last few years.... second mountain and dictim's ridge share the same trailhead and eventually make their way up to some powerlines at the top of the ridge where you can see the state line from. the backside of the mountain features some mudholes that are wet year round and some really fun whoops sections...

jollyjeepers

We are in Roanoke, VA and have been up to Shoe Creek with our M151A1. Last February we went up there with some of the members from our earlycj5.com forums and hit there immediately after a huge ice storm. It was amazing.

We would like to get together with some other military vehicles at some point also.

I grew up in the hobby in the 70's and my dad, who lives in PA, and I have about 25 restored military vehicles. I was very active in the "old" military club and while I have visited the forums some, I have no interest in club politics any longer and have not joined the new military vehicle club.

Beth
Pete & Beth Powell
Roanoke, VA

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the great pic, Beth! Check out the thread on the Virginia Steel Soldiers Rally we are having in about 5 weeks, first weekend in April. I will be updating that thread tomorrow night, so look for it to be at the top of the "new" list shortly.

jollyjeepers

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'll try to watch for it.

We have our own mountain near here as well that we own and use to trail ride and shoot. It's nice to get together with other people too though.

Beth

SierraHotel

I’m in, Mike. There are all kinds of back roads (read dirt) along the VA-WVA border. Ranging from Sunday drives to “I don’t think so”. I believe there is also a shooting range on the WVA side of the mountain off of 33. Our family will usually hit Bayse for a long weekend off season and burn up the back roads with the Suburban.
Thanks for putting it together and doing all the foot work! I noticed you said April 4-6, you planning on camping overnight…or just giving a range?

Bo

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
April 4-6 is set in stone. Friday through Sunday. We will be camping in the AO. Glad to hear you're coming along!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks