• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting Blazers

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Overdrive transmission! Is that a manual GP button next to the headlight switch?:?:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Batteries, driver and passenger side, civy, plus the trailer hitch, and only one alt, oh and air cleaner....no slave...

Last edited:

allrevup

At the 2007 MVP rally in Aberdeen, Md. there was one of this. A U.S. Gov. prototypes that precided the CUCV. 1983, 6.2 diesel, With O/D transmission it did not have the CUCV electrical (in their entirity) they were not officially a General Motors C.U.C.V. as that official denomination did not start until the 1984 contract. The one in Aberdeen,Md. had beign on servise with one of the Natural Resources Dept's. The guy that owned it had it couple of month latter in ebay with a buy now price of $4500, Latter he was ready to part it out. In the early '80 I worked as a surveyor for the USDA Div. of soil and concervation we had 2 late '70's Blazer that had gas engines, HD suspentions, HD charge system np205 with PTO fot the front and rear winches and for the time big off road tires, also power converters for charging some of the electical equipment. I guess if there is sufficient demand the BIG 3, would come up with what they can OFF THE SHELFS.

Last edited:

jpcj-7

At the 2007 MVP rally in Aberdeen, Md. there was one of this. A U.S. Gov. prototypes that precided the CUCV. 1983, 6.2 diesel, With O/D transmission it did not have the CUCV electrical (in their entirity) they were not officially a General Motors C.U.C.V. as that official denomination did not start until the 1984 contract. The one in Aberdeen,Md. had beign on servise with one of the Natural Resources Dept's. The guy that owned it had it couple of month latter in ebay with a buy now price of $4500, Latter he was ready to part it out. In the early '80 I worked as a surveyor for the USDA Div. of soil and concervation we had 2 late '70's Blazer that had gas engines, HD suspentions, HD charge system np205 with PTO fot the front and rear winches and for the time big off road tires, also power converters for charging some of the electical equipment. I guess if there is sufficient demand the BIG 3, would come up with what they can OFF THE SHELFS.

Cool!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
what if it was a CO's car and that person wanted more "creature comforts"

or it could be a civy :razz:

Can assure you, the military wouldn't go out and buy a blazer for a CO. I've seen 1 stars have a problem just getting a van replaced after 4 years of use and a boatload of miles.

Just doesn't work like that.

datsunaholic

We had one of those Blazers in my old Navy unit. It was an '87 so it was NEWER than the CUCVs. Yes, it had the smaller Civilian axles and a 700R4 (I think) OD transmission and actually ran at freeway speeds without sounding like it was gonna fly apart. They were OD green from the factory, but not CARC- one of the ones pictured above is still Factory whereas the other is CARC. They used the same brown vinyl seats as the CUCV. Fully 12V system BUT the one we had had a 12-24V upconverter under the passenger seat for radios. They didn't use CUCV keys, they had normal GM individual door and ignition key pairs.

In fact, the trucks pictured are ex Navy rigs. They have the USN number on the door painted out, but the Naval Coastal Warfare insignia is still on the door. The inverted triangle is likely the NCW Group 1 logo, it was used by all MIUW (Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare) and IBU (Inshore Boat Unit) subunits. I thought maybe one was my old unit's Blazer but ours didn't have hubcaps. Each of the NCW units had at least one by 2002, though the units were mostly disbanded or absorbed into Active Duty units in 2004-2005.

Oh, and the "Button" next to the light switch isn't a button at all. I believe it's a "Service Engine Soon" warning light. Weird location, but that's what I remember it being. Or maybe a water in fuel type warning... Ours was on all the time.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Interesting find. Probably has a civi suspension too, though. Weren't they a little less beefy?
J
The CUCV's just have the heaviest springs GM offered for that chassis. So the M1009's have something like what you would get if you ordered a K5 with the snow plow and trailer towing packages.