• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting driveline testing on LMTV by the Army

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is some more information here in the document in my signature. It talks about these issues, combined with current things people see and a few of the other Army testing documents on the same topic.

CMPPhil

A lot of information about driveline failures, waterpump, starter and alternator bracket cracking.
Mike
Hi MrMikey

Very interesting read, my takeaway from reading it was the truck failed to compete the test. How could a design with so many different problems ever made it into production with out these problems being found and corrected before it was accepted by the military?

Good read

Cheers Phil

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. Did we have a thread showing the bolt in a pic that was the problem with Compressor/ PS pump bracket to engine. I will look at the truck and should be self-explanatory. Also I will look at the Alternator and see about making a bracket but was wondering if anyone is making them for sale. Thanks again for the post.
ps
I just went out and looked at my MTV. Looks like my alternator has a good size rear bracket and compressor / PS pump looks ok but looking for bolt / nut that need to be checked. I will check torque on all bolts.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. Did we have a thread showing the bolt in a pic that was the problem with Compressor/ PS pump bracket to engine. I will look at the truck and should be self-explanatory. Also I will look at the Alternator and see about making a bracket but was wondering if anyone is making them for sale. Thanks again for the post.
ps
I just went out and looked at my MTV. Looks like my alternator has a good size rear bracket and compressor / PS pump looks ok but looking for bolt / nut that need to be checked. I will check torque on all bolts.
My document explains that too ("Loose compressor bracket"). It's the bracket on the back end of the pump... when you go look at the pump it's obvious.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the reports you want to read about the driveline issues...
  • A416038 - Investigation of Driveline Incidents of M1078 LMTV - Dec1998
  • ADA366822 - Test and Evaluation of the LMTV Driveline - 1998
  • ADA416765 - Evaluation of Alternative Driveshaft Configurations for FMTV - 8Nov2002
There have been long threads on these topics.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My document explains that too ("Loose compressor bracket"). It's the bracket on the back end of the pump... when you go look at the pump it's obvious.
Yep thanks. I found it and looks like it needs a longer bolt to go all the way through the threaded bracket. Then put a Nylock nut on the end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks