• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting Response from Vermont DECLINING my HMMWV Registration

thoner7

I'd go with Montana then if VT is being like that. Go to tlcllc.com and it's real easy. I di have to have it "inspected" as part of the process but by a local to me police officer...just call the non emergency line and they will have someone come out.
tlcllc.com doesn’t seem to work for me. Is there a different link?

thoner7

From what I’m told, and that ain’t much, mostly the problem is side impact. You need to upgrade vehicle to specks of 2006 re.: impact. Emissions is easy to deal with.

Plan B claims to get these vehicles road ready for all states. Might be good to look into how.

30 year or older trucks are better as they are exempt.
Kentucky also has some process for issuing 17 digit vins. West Kentucky Surplus gets them for their humvees and you could buy straight from them.

thoner7

That’s another one. Never used these just what I’ve heard about

SmartDrug

That’s another one. Never used these just what I’ve heard about
I used them as HMMWVs are verboten in Illinois. Got a title and plate from Utah for about $700+ tax. Not cheap, but I didn’t want to mess about with trying another state and then the possible headache of washing an “Off-road vehicle” title. It was a quick and easy process.

thoner7

I used them as HMMWVs are verboten in Illinois. Got a title and plate from Utah for about $700+ tax. Not cheap, but I didn’t want to mess about with trying another state and then the possible headache of washing an “Off-road vehicle” title. It was a quick and easy process.
So yours is registered in Utah? How does re-registering every year work? Is it registered to your IL address?

SmartDrug

So yours is registered in Utah? How does re-registering every year work? Is it registered to your IL address?
Aye, all pertinent info regarding the vehicle is addressed to my Illinois address. They send mailers bi-annually asking you to verify insurance coverage. Re-registering was around $75 and I went online and gave them CC info, got a tag in the mail a few weeks later.

It wasn’t cheap at first, but to know that it’s legal and done until Utah decides they don’t want my easy money anymore was worth it over the Vermont “No-title” nonsense.

Agelai

Get some
From what I’m told, and that ain’t much, mostly the problem is side impact. You need to upgrade vehicle to specks of 2006 re.: impact. Emissions is easy to deal with.

Plan B claims to get these vehicles road ready for all states. Might be good to look into how.

30 year or older trucks are better as they are exempt.
Wonder how they are doing that, or if its true.

mccullek

Wonder how they are doing that, or if its true.
My 2006 M1097R1 has a plate on the motor that says the vehicle is exempt from any state emission laws. Was also thinking..... why can't you just claim it is the same as a Hummer H1 when you go to register it? Just say it was converted to a hummer H1 and see what they say?

I also got a certificate to obtain title with mine from the US Government. It looks like a regular title with all the same data of a regular title. It states it is a 2006 AM General M1079R1 Utility Truck with a 8 cylinder diesel engine. Shows a shipping weight, GVWR and purchase price. Also has an odometer statement, so it looks like any other vehicle title that I have seen.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2006 M1097R1 has a plate on the motor that says the vehicle is exempt from any state emission laws. Was also thinking..... why can't you just claim it is the same as a Hummer H1 when you go to register it? Just say it was converted to a hummer H1 and see what they say?

I also got a certificate to obtain title with mine from the US Government. It looks like a regular title with all the same data of a regular title. It states it is a 2006 AM General M1079R1 Utility Truck with a 8 cylinder diesel engine. Shows a shipping weight, GVWR and purchase price. Also has an odometer statement, so it looks like any other vehicle title that I have seen.
HMMWVs have a 6 digit serial number, H1s have a 17 digit VIN.
Modifying the HMMWV serial to 17 digits is an illegal modification if not done by the government agency in charge of such things.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
id love to put a hummer H1 and a mil HMMWV side by side and see what's different...
IIRC not much. Something stupid like different side markers to make it under width....

I know there were other differences, but none that I can remember off the top of my head that had to do with regulations.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BUT many states require the state resident to surrender the out of state title and apply for that states title/registration within 30 days. of that vehicles new residence within the state.
With all the states able to monitor and record (and they are) license plate movements within their state this would be hard to argue against.
It would be far better for everyone in the states that do not allow HMMWV registration to get organized, pony up some bucks for lobbyists and get that changed.
BUT after finding out there are some that will not even pony up $15 a year for this forum it may be a lost cause.
.... and this is why you start a trust, and title it in the trust.

Titling it in a business name may be fraud if the sole purpose of the existence of the company is to hold property in another state.

A trust doesn't have such legal restrictions, as its mere existence is proof of its own need - estate planning.

It also helps in keeping track of expenses per vehicle. I have a bank account for my trust, and any money spent on that vehicle comes out of that trust. Also nice when your license plates (if required) also come back to the trust, which happens to be the unit that the vehicle is marked up as.. You run the plate and it comes back to '832d Transportation Battalion' (as a random example)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks