• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

interesting starter problem

shortydooo222

I already posted a thread with more of the details of what happened but basically I went to to start my 09 upon doing so my negative battery terminal melted along with the the battery cable connector, this was on the second battery. My whole 12 system still works. So I did the doghead relay mod, and have the starter out. I brought it to a shop that tested it with a 12v tester the selonoid did pop. I don't want to buy a new starter unless its completely necessary anyone know the proper way to bench test a 24v starter or know what could have caused this. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, why do you think a second thread will help you?

ryan77

If you have the starter out have it rebuilt! Theres a place in Arlington Hts that will rebuild 24 volt starters! Pm me for details. You also can call me pm me for the number!

Hasdrubal

Once when working on my M1009, I had been leaning over the batteries all day withought disconnecting them. Unbeknownst to me I had put enough pressure on the terminal area that the clamp must have shifted slightly on an angle. This was not visible to the eye. Went to start it, sparks shot off the rear battery negative terminal. It had melted a 20 degree portion of my lead terminal right off. It only has to be a little ill-fitting, as in not secure and tight for this to happen. Readjusted clamp..and all was good.

jgb680

I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up changing out all of my battery cables and it fixed the over heating and melting cable ends. It also help my m1008 to start a lot quicker.

woodywood

Private
you cable wasnt making a good connection.make sure your ends and terminals are clean and tight!24 volt systems tend to burn the post off a battery pretty quick if they are loose or dirty!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks