• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting Tranny story

Punisher666

Interesting Transmission story

My friend and I were getting our trucks ready for a show yesterday just going through and greasing fittings and other misc. checks. As he went to grease the fitting on top of the transmission he noticed something or should i say many something's out of place. The tranny was barely being heldto the bellhousing by 2 finger tight bolts. There was a 1/4 gap between the tranny and bellhousing and I was thinking to myself how in the **** did this happen because i know i didnt touch anything under here. Has anyone ever seen anything like this come from a depot rebuild truck or any truck for that matter? How do you just forget to replace all but 2 bolts to a part so crucial to operation? Just thought id share this with erveryone and look forward to others experiences if any.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
They fell out. How many times in that trucks life has the trans come out? They reuse the bolts and washers. I nut and bolt my deuce a couple times a year and any thing that is loose gets the Locktite treatment.

Punisher666

Yea the new bolts all got lock washers and will be checked very frequently from now on. It just blew my mind on how close it was to catastrophic failure, ie the tranny going falling out while cruising at highway speeds

myJEEPisAfatty

That happened to my Suzuki Samurai lol. I was getting some strange noise from the throw out bearing and so i stuck my head down in the fender to listen while i pushed on the clutch pedal and the Trans and engine were acting like an acordeoane :shock:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be something entirely different.

I'll just let myself out.