• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior Cab upgrades

ShdSteel

Hi everyone.

I was hoping to do some work to my m923a2. Specifically fix up the cab. I've got a hard top and would like to get an overhead console. How have you guys done yours? I was thinking about just getting the frame of the ultimate overhead consoles from ThoseMilitaryGuys. I would like to add a radio, backup camera system, a few switches for lights bars etc, and speakers. I'm also planning to get the eyecon 360 kit as well.

Secondly, what types of seats are you guys using besides stock? Have you ever swapped out your seats for something more comfortable? I would like to get an air ride seat for the driver and somehow install some other seat on top of that. Not sure if a leather bucket seat would work or not. Any opinions from you guys?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done all that you are asking about. Highly recommend it.

Just now bought the real deal air ride seats, after I get some issues sorted out with the not so new seats, I’ll install them but, I did remove the bench 16 months ago for two identical seats. I bought another drivers seat base, which isn’t too bad, and got a set of Corbeau racing seats from Four Wheel Parts. Makes the trip very nice.

I built an overhead console running some 1” sq tubing through my tubing bender and adding 1/8” aluminum plate. On this I have
* Two separate overhead lights. A red light for dim light to keep my night vision if passenger or driver needs to find something easy to see. And a nice warm white led bar light.
* VIC-3 Radio houses itself nicely up here. I had concerns. Turns out, I was overly concerned for no reason. Works great.
* backup camera. I have the backup camera attached to the front windshield center divider at the top.
Was about to add a CB radio up here but everywhere I put it looked awkward, so ...

Have you considered a center console between the seats? I have built one for my tan truck. I like it, but I have some improvements that I am going to do for my camo truck.

ShdSteel

I was considering a center console but I think I want to keep the two seat design. Where did you move your batteries to? Do you have any photos of your cab? Thanks in advance.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bent some 1” sq tube and added reinforcements and attachments where needed (sounds simple)

E1FDE897-199B-4572-B814-0C0F4C606662.jpg

Well, my attachments didn’t attach in order but you get the idea, attach aluminum, layout items, draw them on overhead, drill holes, rivnuts (of course) run wires, secure everything, make sure all VIC-3 cables roll up neatly behind unit and install.

Sounds simple.

The VIC-3, so far has been the best thing I have done to the truck. To be able to drive down the road and have a conversation with noise canceling headphones on is a huge plus.

The overhead light throws out a lot of light. You can see the seats and AC unit. Oops, no, the AC unit is the number one improvement then the radio. I am sure the air ride seats will be somewhere in there number 2 position once I get them fixed up (nothing will take the place of my ac)

4A9CA777-E666-4436-9B0D-71E9FA301D38.jpgABD9C97C-557A-48B3-8E84-3E026C198B29.jpg3FC23516-B68E-4F72-B7C3-BFE84B7DD66A.jpg0322FDDA-C25E-4C52-8134-9388673471A2.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, that looks nice. I’d like to run something like that across the front if there is room.

ShdSteel, I put my bench in the bed, and the batteries stayed in the bench. It works out well, most of the time. Have not had an issue with it being back there yet. I wanted an ac so the center of the cab was spoken for with the evap unit. I like it this way.

twisted60

Build your own, I built one for my 5 ton, cost was low just took some time to lay it all out. Installed a 2 DIN radio and dome light, also speakers in the corners of the cab.
IMG_3358.jpgIMG_3374.jpgIMG_3381.jpgIMG_3382.jpgIMG_3388.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are very good with metal fab you can think up something for an overhead center console. Use the two J bolts that hold the hard top on to keep the center console bolted down. You can either add an additional fine thread lock nut on top of it or or use the nut itself. Mine is curved to match the contour of the roof.

A piece of one inch sq tube in the back will fit in the chanel of the hard top.

I guess i can understand wanting to keep the bench for three people, but, I’d rather put two air ride seats in and put some kind of jump seat in the middle. That way, at least two people are always comfortable.

74M35A2

I did one like Chris posted. I just used an extruded aluminum commercial door threshold from the scrap yard. Was $7.

Also bought a used semi truck air ride seat base, and Recaro seat. Have not installed yet. I did not want to lose multi-passanger ability either.

Last edited:

lindsey97

Artisan makes some really nice switch panels that mount below the dash. Available in 1, 2, or 3 switch sizes. They use the indicator lights and original paddle switches in the truck. Pictures forthcoming.

Jericho

Seating in the 5 ton series is an open question, lots out there, I wanted to keep the batteries in side, I live in the Great North Woods and winters are harsh. And wanted a third jump seat thet can be quickly turned into a sneter console or cooler location. These are leather seats, full air with side bolster and lumbar air bladders as well . The arm rest are great and my grandson , who is 11 has claimed the jump seat which is the modified drivers seat, It quickly comes off the frame and I have a tray for a RAK heater and small cooler that slips in its place for trips with just one passenger. THe seat back also flips forward and I have a tray and two mandatory CUP HOLDERS built into it , Ill post some over head console photos soon, I also fabbed a custom overhead console and have a Ham radio and C/B mounted in it, plenty of space for more switches if needed and a regular AM FM radio in future with full GPS screen Using my IPhone at the moment , also have a vic 3 set up with the IPhone /radio interface from a SS member, works WELL cudos to his skills, Iam not an electron chaser!

Attachments

Jericho

Those are Prime 200 SL seats , they go for around 600$ ea or so depending where you buy them Listed on Flea bay. They are very comfortable and install is dead easy , I mounted the drivers on the original seat plate , so it bolts right in , Passengers is bolted with AN hardware to the floor thru the channel .They have all the controls in place on arrival, teed into the air horn and its a a 5 min job to air them in . Kids are grown and I am retired once already, Both wife and I work full time so $ 600 isn't a stretch for COMFORT . I use the truck AN M-931-A2 to tow a 43 foot fifth wheel RV , a 37 foot travel trailer bumper hanger, a modified M 1061 tilt modified t haul mu M 561 Gama Goat and an M- 750 expandable trailer that my grandson and I are modding into a luxury RV complete with a full chefs kitchen shower , bath room, king size bed, 3 bunks , living room, washer /dryer, bar , the works , all north east Cherry trim and Curly maple tops , slate floor . list goes on, probably a two year project by the time I get it done Front step up has two snow mobiles on the deck for winter and A Ranger side by side for summer, Also have a rotateing beam hoist all fabbed to lift them on and off, just waiting for a spare moment to install it

Attachments

CES 3245th

Those are Prime 200 SL seats , they go for around 600$ ea or so depending where you buy them Listed on Flea bay. They are very comfortable and install is dead easy , I mounted the drivers on the original seat plate , so it bolts right in , Passengers is bolted with AN hardware to the floor thru the channel .They have all the controls in place on arrival, teed into the air horn and its a a 5 min job to air them in . Kids are grown and I am retired once already, Both wife and I work full time so $ 600 isn't a stretch for COMFORT . I use the truck AN M-931-A2 to tow a 43 foot fifth wheel RV , a 37 foot travel trailer bumper hanger, a modified M 1061 tilt modified t haul mu M 561 Gama Goat and an M- 750 expandable trailer that my grandson and I are modding into a luxury RV complete with a full chefs kitchen shower , bath room, king size bed, 3 bunks , living room, washer /dryer, bar , the works , all north east Cherry trim and Curly maple tops , slate floor . list goes on, probably a two year project by the time I get it done Front step up has two snow mobiles on the deck for winter and A Ranger side by side for summer, Also have a rotateing beam hoist all fabbed to lift them on and off, just waiting for a spare moment to install it
Thanks for the info
, you sound like a very busy person I don't think there's enough hours in the day for me to do all that you do!!

Thanks again Mike

74M35A2

The best looking one I have seen was 3 black armchair minivan captain type seats across. All 3 could fold down to make a flat platform, or middle one only.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jericho, That brings up a question. What is the best place to tie in your air ride seats? Got some USSC and GSS seats and need an air source, and want the easiest, most convenient, least likely to screw up my air system place to tap in. Thanks.