• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior coating for M1009

OL AG '89

This might be better asked in the FAQ, but I didn't find in preliminary search. I want to "waterproof" the interior of the CUCV, so it's easier to keep clean and "hose-off" when I'm finished playing in the mudholes and creeks.
I am thinking about the Rhino-liner type but wonder about the fumes and how it will react in the 100+ degree heat here in Houston in the Summer. Only looking to do the floors and maybe cargo area.... not sides or top.

Anybody got a solution tried and true?

I've got a place in town that I've been dealing with for about 5 yrs that said they would do it for about $150. I have to bring to them stripped clean of seats and stuff and have bolts in all the holes I want to reuse after application.... Sounds reasonable, just wondering.

AJMBLAZER

I've got Rhino Liner in my civy K5 Blazer. LOVE IT.

If you can get a product similar in thickness, durability, and quality as Rhino Liner for $150 JUMP ON IT. If it's something like Herculiner then no, not worth it. I paid $500 to have mine done and I got a good price because I had done a lot of business with and sent business too the guy.

Attachments

Napoleon_Tanerite

I used brush-on rustoleum bedliner from the gallon cans at Walmart. Took about 1.5 cans to do two coats from the firewall to the tailgate, applied liberally. I'm very happy with its moisture resistance and durability, especially considering the cost. It's been about a month, and there's still a decent bit of paint fume smell in there, but not as bad as the first week. Overall I'm very happy and would recommend it to anyone.

NPD732

I used Tuff Rider bedliner by Zolatone on my M1031 cab floor. It's two part urethane and is applied with a schutz gun. Great stuff

OL AG '89

Thanks, he said it be very "thin" so not a lot of material used, and I am doing most of the prep work, so his time "expense" is just the material and what he spend doing the job..... I think I'm gonna give a try...... Now I have to inform the Colonel she'll be having a "new" interior in the CUCV.......:smile:

Napoleon_Tanerite

I slathered mine on pretty thick. my surface prep consisted of cleaning the interior pretty well with soap and water, then treating any rust, then slathering on the bedliner over the existing CARC. I didn't make any effort to strip to bare metal or anything like that. The CARC made a fine primer.

AJMBLAZER

Nothing, but it's a completely different animal when compared to the commercially applied spray on liners like Rhino Liner, Line-X, Speed Liner, Al's Liner, etc.

I've had several Rhino Liners and done Herculiner on a vehicle I owned. Both have their places and both have their uses but they are not in the same class.

four_by_ken

Nothing, but it's a completely different animal when compared to the commercially applied spray on liners like Rhino Liner, Line-X, Speed Liner, Al's Liner, etc.

I've had several Rhino Liners and done Herculiner on a vehicle I owned. Both have their places and both have their uses but they are not in the same class.
I agree 100% here. I did the interior of my old Wrangler a long time ago in Rhino, well had someone do it. Tuned out great.

Then I did the lower 1/2 of my old Suburban in Herculiner rolled on by me. Was way harder to get a thick coat like the commercially done places get. And didnt last no where near as long.

Now on my M1009, I just had the interior and also the lower 1/2 done in Speed Liner. I love it. Should last a long long time... even in MI when I get the truck back there.

I am really thinking about getting the upper half done also.

I hate rust!!!!

AJMBLAZER

When my buddy built his Scout he took it entirely apart and lined the frame and undersides and interior.

I've got crazy thoughts about something similar...

four_by_ken

When my buddy built his Scout he took it entirely apart and lined the frame and undersides and interior.

I've got crazy thoughts about something similar...
My M1109 will be completely lined on the outside and also the inside up to the firewall and the tub sides.
Outside will be black on the bottom and OD green on the top half.

AJMBLAZER

I'm more worried about underneath.

Winter's much less severe here so I'm not so worried about the rust in the easily accessible places...and we all know how these things rust out from the bottom up.

four_by_ken

I would have loved to do the complete underside also... but just no way I could. If I ever do a resto where the body comes off... I will. But, not with this truck.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, that's the hiccup.

I think what I'm going to see if he'll do is spray the backsides of the rockers and that most vulnerable part under the foot wells and rear seat foot well at the step. The rest I'm not terribly worried about for now.

OL AG '89

So the end of the story is I did the liner a couple weeks ago and for the first several days after it looked GREAT. I used Monstaliner, about 250 for 2 gals and install kit. I used the MEK as recommended for the entire floor of the truck. I had to stop in the beginning and purchase a commercial quality mask, the MEK fumes were making me GOOFY (ER).
So I finished the floor with 1 gallon and decide to let setup as suggested and then decide if I need another coat or not, The roller supplied allowed me to put the stuff down nice and thick.
I am looking at the front passenger side of the truck a couple of days ago and it looks like the material has "released" from the metal. I decide to push on liner and SOB!!! I put my finger throught the liner that has "shrunk, released, whatever" from the floor pan. I start pulling the liner off and without using any tools, I am able to strip the liner back to under front seat for the entire area!!!!!! I cleaned the SNOT out of the floor areas with the MEK, so I am at a loss as to what caused this lack or loss of adhesion..... You can see that the floor area was painted, but based on the documentation with the kit, it wasn't necessary to strip down to bare metal as long as the MEK prep was carried out..... When I pull up the liner it released the paint as well, so now I have a "bare" metal floor that I have to cover with something, so it doesn't begin to rust...
I have written the company I bought material from, Magnet Paints, to see what they suggest. I am not looking for a full refund, but at least a "repair" kit to redo this area.
The rest of the truck looks fantastic!!!
It's a little shiny, but the rest of thruck looks like it's gonna do good overtime.
We'll see how the company responds to this issue.

I included before and after pics, because WE ALL love pics!!!

Attachments

four_by_ken

And this was the exact reason I went with a professional company and not a DIY type of liner.

I have not used a DIY liner that is anywhere near in comparison to a true sprayed on bed liner.

Plus, if you have problems, you can go back to the company that sprayed it.

The interior and exterior of mine are holding up GREAT and it has been right about 1 year. Through one SC summer and one MI winter so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks