• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermitent starter.....

combatmech

Howdy all,
Over the past week or so, when I turn the key to the start position, ( after the GP's have cycled ) starter engages but does not stay that way for long. It doesnt sound like I'm getting a complete revolution of the engine.
Set the key back to off, reattack the start...same thing. On the third attempt, she starts like nothing is wrong. Seems to only happen on the first start of the day.
Looking through the -20, checked the starter/starter bolts for security, looked at the teeth on the flex plate, checked voltage between front neg and rear positive and it's reading above the 18-22 volts. I am thinking a switch in the colum..... anything else I should check?
Thanks in advance

DonK

If you haven't cleaned all of your connections DO! Otherwise it might be the solenoid.
:ditto:
Check your Cables and Connectors, sounds like whats happening is you have a loose connection and after the first attempt or two, that bad spot makes a better connection and whalla...it starts...2cents

combatmech

The batteries were replaced April 2011. I cleaned all the important stuff at least twice since I have owned the truck. ( May 2010 )
I'm with Stampy, I am leaning towards a solenoid as well due to the symptoms.
I'll have the batteries load tested after the holidays. She still starts ( on the 3rd try most days ) and runs like a champ. Thanks for the input fellas.... Merry Christmas to all!! :beer:

Stihl029

I am having an intermittent problem that is similar. I replaced my batteries about 7 months ago, went on a 4 month deployment and now sometimes the starter will crank with the gear engaged then midway through cranking disengage. I can hear the motor running until I stop cranking, so i know that the motor is working. the next crank when this happens it it usually fine; however sometimes after that it will turn with no gear engaged. So mine turns into a try again and again game till it works. it happens both when the truck is warm and cold. more often when its cold though.

combatmech

Had the batteries load tested... Checks good. Going to go over all my connections before I throw parts at it. I'm still thinking a starter solenoid.... Stay tuned

klmartin62

Stihl029, you have either a bad starter drive or the starter shaft has rust not allowing the starter drive to fully engage. Since the starter motor is running you know the solenoid is functioning. Pull the starter, check that starter drive will not turn both directions as you move it by hand. If it is functioning normally, you have a problem involving the depth of the teeth engaging flywheel. Many times a bad drive just needs cleaning and lubrication. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks