• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent coolant leak?

bebyb

Hello all, my m35a2 has a very intermittent coolant leak coming from the rear of the engine somewhere. Some days I'll run it and it doesn't leak a drop, other days there is a big puddle underneath it. There is no coolant in the oil so I assume it probably isn't a head gasket...but I guess there is always the possibility. Any ideas?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Clean it, run + drive it, park it, examine it.
Find the leak.

After running up to normal operating temperature,
which of all the fluid systems remains
at the highest pressure after shutdown?

Clean it, run it, park it, examine it.
Where is pictures?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hate to say it but, many have had the freeze plugs leak between the head and firewall. Got a inspection camera or mirror?

bebyb

I hate to say it but, many have had the freeze plugs leak between the head and firewall. Got a inspection camera or mirror?
I do have a mirror and have been looking for it. Might be a lose coolant temp sensor. If it was the head gasket the oil and coolant would be mixing right?

gimpyrobb

Without knowing the size of the leak, I would say yes, but only you can judge how bad it truly is. I would plan on the motor needing work very soon and drive it cautiously till you figure it out.

bebyb

Without knowing the size of the leak, I would say yes, but only you can judge how bad it truly is. I would plan on the motor needing work very soon and drive it cautiously till you figure it out.
It only leaks occasionally. You never see it leak when it runs, only when it is parked and has sat overnight, and most mornings you never see it. I don't know what it is. It might not even be a head gasket, could be that temp sensor or maybe a freeze plug. I certainly am unlikely to be a happy camper if it is the head gasket. Haha.

gimpyrobb

You have to BE CAREFUL to do this, but

Try opening the radiator cap after driving it and let it sit overnight. See if it leaks then.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most all of the leaks will end up at the bottom/rear, gravity. Sounds like a cold water leak, meaning, it will only leak when cold, after coolant gets to temp, parts swell and the leak stops. Get a pressure tester and put 10 psi on it cold, before it is started. Look at all hose connections and between the heads. If the h gasket is the culprit, the leak will start on the exhaust side just under onr of the exhaust ports...if it has old style head gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks