• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent Turn Signal Issue

pigdog

I have the old original style of non-cancelling turn signals. Lately, when I start off, the turn signals aren't working. The indicator light will come on, but doesn't flash.

But after driving for 15 minutes or so, they will work but fail occasionally.

All incandescent bulbs, no LEDs, no modifications made by me. They've worked for almost two years before this started this spring.

Suggestions?

I've pulled the switch apart, found some evidence of sparking (i.e. carbon build up) around one of the contacts, but nothing really stuck out.

Also, where is the actual flasher unit supposed to be mounted? Mine is just wire tied up to some wires. Previous owners...🙄

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the old original style of non-cancelling turn signals. Lately, when I start off, the turn signals aren't working. The indicator light will come on, but doesn't flash.

But after driving for 15 minutes or so, they will work but fail occasionally.

All incandescent bulbs, no LEDs, no modifications made by me. They've worked for almost two years before this started this spring.

Suggestions?

I've pulled the switch apart, found some evidence of sparking (i.e. carbon build up) around one of the contacts, but nothing really stuck out.

Also, where is the actual flasher unit supposed to be mounted? Mine is just wire tied up to some wires. Previous owners...🙄
I would look at the flasher, sorry I cannot remember where it was mounted..
EDIT, to say I would suspect the flasher.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
flasher on mine is on the firewall behind the dash right behind the turn signal arm. Really easy to see without having to take anything apart. Are you having issues with JUST the flasher, or are all your lights going out? Checking grounds might be a good idea, but I agree, I'm inclined to say the flasher module is failing.

pigdog

flasher on mine is on the firewall behind the dash right behind the turn signal arm. Really easy to see without having to take anything apart. Are you having issues with JUST the flasher, or are all your lights going out? Checking grounds might be a good idea, but I agree, I'm inclined to say the flasher module is failing.
Just the flasher.
Grounds are clean, but haven't done the supplemental harness yet. It's sitting on the work bench.

INFChief

Not sure about the HMMWV’s but other vehicle lights needed clean mounting bolts and a good connection to the body as those bolts grounded the lights themselves.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the wire tagged 57 (k) is grounded, this goes to the flasher terminal C
If that is good you can jump terminal A to terminal B (325 A and 325 B) in the plug (unplugging the flasher of course) and the front and rear lights should burn continuously when the turn signal switch is in position (to say activate right turn and the right turn lights should illuminate)
If they do then the flasher is bad

Last edited:

pigdog

Make sure the wire tagged 57 (k) is grounded, this goes to the flasher terminal C
If that is good you can jump terminal A to terminal B (325 A and 325 B) in the plug (unplugging the flasher of course) and the front and rear lights should burn continuously when the turn signal switch is in position (to say activate right turn and the right turn lights should illuminate)
If they do then the flasher is bad
Thanks, I'll chase that down this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks