• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittently dying during deceleration ????

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS,

The last week and a half my Oh9 will sometimes/often die during deceleration. If I am coming to a stop sign and apply the brakes, I watch my rpms just drop all the way, so I have gotten very good at throwing it into neutral, which will keep idle, make the stop then drop it back into drive. This problem is intermittent.

Could this be directly related to the injection pump, air in the fuel line, brake booster or ????

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been people with simular issues and a IP rebuild solved their problem. Not saying that that is your problem.

camp9

I've had the same problem with my M1031. I talked to a reserve mechanic this weekend at one of the parades that we took it too along with our M35A3, and asked him if he had any thoughts. He said it's a common problem when you turn up the IP a little, but it happens even if you don't. Said its the TV or TF cable that's need adjusting. Haven't had time yet to see what it is and how to adjust it. So glad you posted maybe we both can figure it out. :)

Mohawk Dave

I've had the same problem with my M1031. I talked to a reserve mechanic this weekend at one of the parades that we took it too along with our M35A3, and asked him if he had any thoughts. He said it's a common problem when you turn up the IP a little, but it happens even if you don't. Said its the TV or TF cable that's need adjusting. Haven't had time yet to see what it is and how to adjust it. So glad you posted maybe we both can figure it out. :)
Sounds Good. But does anyone know what this TV or TF cable is we speak of? The SEARCH option will not recognize two letter acronyms :(

-Dave

CPAPPY

I had a truck that did that a I ran some LUCAS fuel treatment and my problem went away also put in a new fuel filter . Also try adjusting the rpms up some . Good luck anyways .

camp9

Good thought CPAPPY, changing the filer to a spin on was on my list of things to do. The truck runs perfect, and only cuts out when your going down the highway at 55mph and you let your foot off the peddle. If I let my foot off slow it never quits. I/m guessing thats what Mohalk Daves truck is doing the same thing by the sounds of it.

Chief_919

Unless he has changed his transmission, he doesn't have a TV cable. The stock TH400 does not use one. Only a 700R4 does.

ctmustang

I would definately change the fuel filter and also check the fuel pump and make sure it is starting to leak. You might want to check the metal lines on top of the fuel tank as they are known to rust and develop pin holes and draw air into the system

Mohawk Dave

The truck wants to stall only when i decelerate: ie, coming up to a stop, slowing to turn a corner.

I spoke to my diesel mechanic, and he stated since the truck idles fine in Neutral, the motor is doing what it is supposed to. He was not certain, but said it maybe that the torque converter is failing and applying load to the motor when I decelerate. But he warned he is no tranny expert. This is what it feels like, so it may or may not be this. But with the T-Converter being mechanical, could it be intermittent?

I will also check for air in the fuel line, b/c I have a hinckling that the last time I changed the fuel filter, 3/15/11, the seals began to fail. I say this b/c lately if I park with the nose uphill, I see a few air bubbles on my clear fuel line at the IP and it takes more cranking and throttle application to start than usual. If these seals have failed, could it be intermittent? A spin on Racor is planned regardless.

Another quirk, when the truck is doing this, I can shut it off, restart and the problem will cease-sometimes.... so at this point I will start with the air in fuel line and go from there.

Any more ideas?

Thanks for all the input already, guys.

Dave

Barrman

What happens when you are going down the road at say 70MPH and you let off the throttle? When you get back in, does it do nothing for a few seconds and then give full power again?

A just changed out the IP on a M1010 for a fellow SS'er who had a truck doing exactly as I described. Problems solved..

Mohawk Dave

What happens when you are going down the road at say 70MPH and you let off the throttle? When you get back in, does it do nothing for a few seconds and then give full power again?

A just changed out the IP on a M1010 for a fellow SS'er who had a truck doing exactly as I described. Problems solved..
No, that's the wierd thing. At speed all is fine, on throttle, off throttle, doesn't matter...It only happens at deceleration at slow speeds. I don't think the T-Converter could be intermittent, if there is air in the fuel line it MAY be intermittent, but could the IP be intermittent?

Thanks again,

Dave

camp9

Mohawk Dave, hope you don't mine me joining in with my truck too. If mine does 70 and you let off it will be just like you turned the key off. And when you put the put your foot back down on the peddle nothing is there until a second or two and then you can hear and feel it kick back in. I've never let mine come to a stop after it does this, but I'm sure the engine wouldn't be running. reminds me of the old tractors we use to have on the farm when we would just pull the throttle all the way back to kill the engine before they came up with a key. I think if it still does it after putting a new fuel filter on I'll check the idle.

Barrman

Check all the other stuff, but you are both probably going to be doing IP swaps to fix the problems. They are 26 plus years old by now. Things do wear out.

camp9

I got my truck from GL, so hard to say what the life was before I got it. Only has 22K miles on it, but ya never know. I switched out many IP's but never a 6.2. Looks straight forward to me. I'll try a few things between rain showers and let you know how it turns out. Appreciate all the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks