• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

International Title Service --- A+ SERVICE!

1redgmc

AND - the combined outlay of CASH at this point for this mess is $866 ($485 for ITS and $381 for dealing direct with VT DMV)

This is GOOD and BAD

BAD = I now have to UNSCREW WHAT ITS HAS DONE and seek restitution somehow

GOOD = I proved that anyone can do it themselves in NO TIME AT ALL!!!!

1redgmc

Wow two sets of paperwork. Which one will you keep?
I believe that because ITS screwed the pooch on my VIN that the only logical choice is for me to keep the one I submitted CORRECTLY!!

I'm still in disbelief.

I need to call VT DMV tomorrow and ask them how to proceed.

The other thing that has me shaking my head is the NEVADA postage and postmark on the ITS package - indicating that the ITS plates had to traverse the country twice to get to me in West Virginia while BOTH are postmarked DEC 30, 2010 and I received both today.

Also, the ITS package has a registration card AND year (2011) sticker that must be affixed to the (rear) plate - while the package from VT DMV only had Page 2 of my application sent back. Maybe the registration card and the sticker will arrive tomorrow under separate cover?

Oh - NO TITLE WITH EITHER PACKAGE, but the VT DMV document (TA-VD-119) has a section that clearly states "Notice of Transfer of Ownership - DO NOT Complete Until Vehicle Is Being Sold!"

Below this is a box where you fill in the new owners name/address and then you sign it.

My head hurts... and I need some alcohol to numb the pain...

kastein

DM,

thats awesome, ITS was going to be my backup plan if I ran into problems getting my title from the guy I purchased it from.

I have all the paperwork, same stuff you can get off the web.

The other place is Broadway Title Company. Same gig, not sure if they use the same state to title the vehicle in.
Broadway does not do military vehicles from what their site says. I guess they got tired of dealing with all of us nuts rofl

Just received FedEx notifcation that VT DMV received my title application a few minutes ago @ 0956L

Keeping my fingers crossed...[thumbzup]
YUP...

A set of VERMONT PLATES AND REGISTRATION FROM ITS - that took OVER SIX MONTHS TO GET, but only after filing a FRAUD COMPLAINT with USPS and threatening legal action...

~ AND ~

A set of VERMONT PLATES from the VT DMV that I applied for LESS THAN TEN DAYS AGO

WTF?!?!

Oh, and the set from ITS only has a PARTIAL VIN (they used the first EIGHT alpha-numeric characters) where I submitted the ENTIRE VIN...

NOW WHAT DO I DO?

This is unbelieveable...
Ever see the James Bond movies?

Build yourself a plate switching machine... you now are two different trucks... rofl

(I am completely kidding, that would be all kinds of illegal.)

I believe what you should do is call up the VT DMV and tell them you tried MONTHS ago to do this through ITS, and that they screwed everything up and you then went directly to them. Ask what they think you should do. My bet is that they will do something nasty to ITS, cancel out the ITS paperwork, and you will be on your way with the paperwork and plates directly from them. BE HONEST WITH THEM. They will trust you a lot more if you tell them exactly what happened even though it looks kinda sketchy, and then ask them how you should fix it.

1redgmc

How did you get Vt plates without living there?.
I did the same thing that ITS did - but for about $150 less. Well, I'm still in the HOLE for the $485 I sent to ITS to wait six + months...

I went on the VT DMV website and downloaded the application, filled it out, called VT DMV customer service, asked questions, sent in my $$ and a week later got plates and registration sent to my house - all in my name.

Once I unscrew the current snafu with getting TWO sets of plates I will go to WV DMV to (try) and apply for a title in my home state.

1redgmc

Broadway does not do military vehicles from what their site says. I guess they got tired of dealing with all of us nuts rofl

Ever see the James Bond movies?

Build yourself a plate switching machine... you now are two different trucks... rofl

(I am completely kidding, that would be all kinds of illegal.)

I believe what you should do is call up the VT DMV and tell them you tried MONTHS ago to do this through ITS, and that they screwed everything up and you then went directly to them. Ask what they think you should do. My bet is that they will do something nasty to ITS, cancel out the ITS paperwork, and you will be on your way with the paperwork and plates directly from them. BE HONEST WITH THEM. They will trust you a lot more if you tell them exactly what happened even though it looks kinda sketchy, and then ask them how you should fix it.
I tried to call VT DMV today but could never catch a break at work to have enough time to answer all the questions I am betting they will have.

I have made arrangements to ensure I have sufficient time tomorrow.

I can't wait... aua

AceHigh

When I had the SNAFU with the A3 paperwork, WV DMV gave me a license (after I paid the blood money of course) and a receipt. They also told me no title until I could get the needed paperwork, so apparently a license (registration) and title (ownership) may be considered different issues with these folks.

kastein

I did the same thing that ITS did - but for about $150 less. Well, I'm still in the HOLE for the $485 I sent to ITS to wait six + months...

I went on the VT DMV website and downloaded the application, filled it out, called VT DMV customer service, asked questions, sent in my $$ and a week later got plates and registration sent to my house - all in my name.

Once I unscrew the current snafu with getting TWO sets of plates I will go to WV DMV to (try) and apply for a title in my home state.
pretend I am retarded...
which forms exactly did you fill out?

I am trying to figure out how to register my M54A2 for personal use, and in Mass it appears entirely impossible. I have to register it for commercial use even though it will never be used commercially, and I have to get commercial insurance. I have a clear Pennsylvania title and everything, it's just that MA is ridiculously annoying to deal with. So I'm looking into registering it in VT instead, I'm assuming if I send them my PA title they will give me a VT title with the plates and registration? Or my PA title remains valid, but I get VT plates and registration?

I will be getting the full required (and probably more) amount of insurance because frankly, I am not willing to risk being bankrupted and/or jailed if anything bad happens. I just have no idea how this all works :lost:

battlebuggy

Hi, I wish I knew what other states do about vehicle excise taxes and the like, but I do know about MA. If the vehicle is garaged in MA then you have to register it in MA and pay the excise tax on it. If you drive it around with a NH or VT plate on it you will be stopped sooner or later by a Police Officer and they will run it. If they find out that it garages in MA and is registered in Vt and the tax has been evaded then they will tow it, and you will get charged with Unregistered MV, and tax evasion (which is a felony). They do it all the time to guys who live up near NH who pull this commonly to save the bucks. They actually have a unit that works on these cases along with an 800 tip line that people can call to give them leads on out of state registered vehicles where the person gets a reward sent to him too. I have relatives with property up north and have never dared to try any of this stuff in MA because of it being illegal here. Maybe WV doesnt care about things being registered who know where but MA does because they want the tax and fee money, and go after it, which sucks.

1redgmc

Based upon the summary from battlebuggy, I couldn't possibly have anything intelligent to add.

WV wants vehicles to be "properly registered" in 30 days. I doubt the laws here were written with this scenario in mind. I've seen taxi's and such with two different State tags on them so I presume that must be something related to being able to operate in two States. Where I live you can drive 5 miles to the South on I-81 and be in Virginia. Drive 18 miles North on the same Interstate - you are in Maryland, and go another 15 miles beyond that and you are in Pennsylvania.

I have yet to get in contact with VT DMV to lay my situation on them. I am hoping to try again tomorrow.

Work keeps getting in the way. It does however, pay the bills...

1redgmc

Here is the next chapter of the title saga...

Finally got time to call VT DMV today. Spoke with a nice man named "Steve". Told him EVERYTHING that has transpired:

- Gave him both plate numbers
- He pulled up each record summary, printed them off so he could see the discrepancies
- He immediately hit upon the fact that ITS only submitted (EIGHT) of the (SEVENTEEN) digit VIN
* This is problem #1
- He then noted that the GVWR I provided was GREATER than what ITS had provided
* This is problem #2
* Also, the GVWR (loaded weight) is what dictates your final cost of registration
- He indicated that we clearly had the "appearance" of having TWO titles for the same vehicle with different submissions - one which appears to be correct (mine) and a "suspicious" submission (ITS)

So from here he has to go speak with his supervisor to determine the next course of action - but before he does that, he wants to know what my complaint against the DMV is.

I tell him I have NO COMPLAINT against the DMV (my issue was with the straw man title company) and that I was simply seeking his guidance on what options I have and is it possible I can get a refund on the "suspicious" submission sent in by the title company?

"Oh, that is great! I'll be right back!"

OK... tick-tock... 3 minutes later... he's back.

YES SIR, I NEED TO ASK YOU A FEW MORE QUESTIONS

1. Have you put the plates on the vehicle?
- NO
2. Have you received the registration and sticker?
- YES
3. Have you altered them or the documents in any way?
- NO

Great! Package them all up and send them to my attention at the INFO UNIT and upon receipt I will process your refund IN THE AMOUNT OF $271

Me: HUH? $271? That's it?

DMV: Yes, that is what was paid.

Me: Why is that more than $100 LESS than what I had to pay on my submission?

The answer is SIMPLE. ITS low balled the GVWR on the application submission at 14,099 LBS and it cost $100+ LESS.

So the MFer at ITS increased his PROFIT while providing false information to the DMV.

No surprise there...

The bottom line here is that I now have a valid set of Vermont plates and registration (but still no title) for my 1971 AM General Deuce that cost me $381.25 to APPLY MYSELF through VT DMV and looking at the turn around time (as verified by the DMV rep) - my application was processed in TWO DAYS from receipt and returned to me via USPS snail mail taking another TWO DAYS to get to me (even with the holiday).

ITS took SIX MONTHS to process incorrect and an "allegedly improper" submission and charged me $485

So out of my $485 sent to ITS - I expect to recover $271

Net loss on this transaction is six months of my time and $214 cash money.

Anyone wanna bet that I get NOTHING back from ITS?

I'm not cutting my losses yet and will be making relentless calls to ITS to demand a refund for the $214 balance. I guess I'll do this until it is no longer worth my time...

From here, I must now go to WV DMV and determine if I can get a title in my home state using a plate and registration from VT.

Will update this thread once I get a determination on that part.

Tomorrow will be the FIRST DAY OF LEGAL DRIVING!!! Woohoo!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks