• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intrigued and Curious in CA

saffy2yrs

I found this forum while looking at Deuces, and have read quite a bit of the Deuce forum so far. I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to while using the search function.

I currently live in an apartment in CA, so have no space for a MV.

I was wondering, how well do Deuces store? should they be started monthly? weekly? Should they be under a roof for longer term storage?

I was thinking (dreaming) of getting a Deuce, and keeping it at my Mom's house in Kansas. I would put someone else on the title so it could be registered there as well. I would buy from a person, so I would not have to do the initial maintenance, but when I visited KS I would want to do as much as I could do and learn from the TMs and people here. Is this feasable? or too much trouble...

pad_cdr

Like the title, thought it was about some new movie.

I try to start mine weekly, and drive it at least once per month. You can probably go a little longer on each, but at some time, batteries will go bad, fuel will go bad, tires will go out of round, mice will eat wires, etc.

My guess is that if you drive it only every six months or so, you would need ot spend some extra time getting it ready to start, and then maybe getting it ready for the next six months.

I'm sure there are others on this site that go longer or shorter between drives.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. I have let one of mine sit for months and it hasn't been on the road in 4 years but if I went out right now it would start right up and I could drive it around the field.

I keep the batteries and fluids topped off. Would I like to drive it more? Yes

Most MVs spend their life on active duty being inactive.

Motorcar

I would buy from a person, so I would not have to do the initial maintenance,
That may not be the case...any vehicle you are buying is going to require you doing your part to be sure it's road worthy, especially when it wieghs in at 14,000 pounds. We are still talking about a 40 year old truck. I know a man in Southeast Texas that bought one off GL that had just gone thru full overhaul, EVERYTHING is new on it down to the rubber nubs on the tread of the tires. You could not find a better truck than it, but he paid big time for it. Condition is directly tied to money, as with most things.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

Covered storage is a plus, it will be in better shape, but not mandatory.

What is necessary is:

1. Install a good 24v float charger so that the batteries are kept in good shape.

2. Fuel conditioner and biocide treatment. I use PRI-D and any biocide I can get my hands on.

Your brake drums will rust up if it isn't driven every couple of weeks. Tires will develop flat spots. If it isn't going to be driven but every 6 months, put it up on jack stands and cover the tires to protect them from UV.

saffy2yrs

Welcome.

Covered storage is a plus, it will be in better shape, but not mandatory.

What is necessary is:

1. Install a good 24v float charger so that the batteries are kept in good shape.

2. Fuel conditioner and biocide treatment. I use PRI-D and any biocide I can get my hands on.

Your brake drums will rust up if it isn't driven every couple of weeks. Tires will develop flat spots. If it isn't going to be driven but every 6 months, put it up on jack stands and cover the tires to protect them from UV.
Thanks for your input, I had not thought about the brake drums... Biocide? is that also for the fuel tank like the conditioner?

jeeplvr247

I would wait until you have a place close to home to keep it. Once you have the fever you will want to drive it all of the time. I intended to keep my jeep up at my summer place but I was afraid separation anxiety would set in so I still have it at my house. There is nothing better than just going for a whirl around town in an old MV after a long day of work. Have you considered something smaller for your first MV? Maybe a CUCV or similar? They are cheaper to buy, run, maintain, and you can probably keep it at your apartment. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks