• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing myself

CycleJay

Hello 1984,

Welcome to the site..
And I wish you good luck with your M1009.

I have a 1985 M1009 myself. So if I can help you, just ask.
And if I am capable, I would be glad to help you.
If not, I will let you know, and maybe refer to something that could.

My best advice right now though, is to study the Technical Manuals (TM's),
for that vehicle so you can learn it, inside and out.

And feel free to ask questions here.

Good luck, and good night,

CJ

1984M1009

If you are in AZ why on earth would you buy anything with rust?
I had been looking for a while and they were all around $4,000 I got this one for $1800

I was looking at patch panels and replacement panels at LMC and will slowly fix most the rust The frame is very solid though

ralbelt

Welcome. If you get some long bolts, about 8" you can slide the trans back while supporting the tail with a floor jack and replace the flexplate{flywheel}. Broken starter bolt can sometimes be harder than others just be patient.
My theory on my M1008 is if its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it.

Have fun and good luck

Last edited:

1984M1009

Welcome. If you get some long bolts, about 8" you can slide the trans back while supporting the tail with a floor jack and replace the flexplate{flywheel}. Broken starter bolt can sometimes be harder than others just be patient.
My theory on myM1009 if its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it.

Have fun and good luck
What size are the bell housing bolts?

1984M1009

I got the broken starter bolt out I got real lucky

I bought a punch from harbor freight and it just bent before it even made a mark so I used the left handed drill bit and drilled two small holes one on each side and used the punch to spin it out.

I just need to get the bellhousing bolts out and the crossmember and the dipstick and she will be ready to pull

bkwudzhom

Welcome from GA! Good deal on the starter bolts--be ABSOLUTLY SURE you have the bracket on the end of the starter or you will be replacing those bolts again!!
:deadhorse:Don't ask how many of us know this.aua

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a sweet ride. Of course, we want more pix. But we can wait. Go enjoy the ride.

OH, do NOT use anything but the correct GM starter bolts. ASK ME WHY I SAY THIS. I learned that lesson the hard way (twice - but it was on two trucks during the same cold snap - each truck just dropped one bolt - then snapped the other one)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks