• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Tortuga

Tortuga

Hello all. My name is Kyle from Connecticut and I would like to introduce my new 1993 M1078, my children have dubbed Tortuga.
IMG_7371.jpeg
I mostly fell into this purchase, to my wife’s displeasure, and at this point have just been reading the forum and pushing every lever and button to see what works and what doesn’t.

So far it runs, drives and stops. Ctis seems to work fine. Winch works. Mode works. Most lights and gauges work. Cab tilts although I had to manually pump after about 80% lift. Had plenty of air but the pump sounded weak and stopped moving. same scenario coming down. Previous owner did a ton of work wiring and modifying the battery box and electrical system.

The bad so far. The tachometer is now working nd the speedometer seems to function but is wayyy off. I attempted the dip switch adjustment only to find I have no dip switches. Here is a terrible photo of the back of my speedo
IMG_7382.jpeg
Well that’s about all I have for now. All your posts have been very helpful so far. Can’t wait to see what adventures this beast has in store for me.

Thanks again

Ronmar

What year and version truck(A0, A1)? You only need to run the pump far enough to get over the balance point when lowering, gravity does the rest. When raising, how full were the air tanks? With full tanks(125PSI), you should be able to raise the cab twice...

Tortuga

What year and version truck(A0, A1)? You only need to run the pump far enough to get over the balance point when lowering, gravity does the rest. When raising, how full were the air tanks? With full tanks(125PSI), you should be able to raise the cab twice...
It is a 1993 so I assume A0

Tanks were full ~125psi. And still stopped moving before the balance point. Instantly moved the rest of the way just past balance with the hand pump. It was still ‘air knocking’ the pump just not moving.

Tortuga

Another item I forgot to include.

I didn’t realize I had been driving around with the cab air ride off. I turned it on and it fills right up. However, it makes a loud hiss near the area of the air/hydraulic pump. Is this normal or do I need o search for an air leak. Thanks

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness! Congratulations on the purchase. I think it’s a better value than a $70k+ truck. I’m up in NH, got a M1078A1.

On the air ride leak, it sounds like the level control valve. That’s one I haven’t rebuilt, but it looks easy enough.

Ronmar

The leak location does sounds like the cab air ride height valve. if you look in past the front of the air filter, you should see a blue-grey box about 2” square with a lever in the middle pointing forward(9 Oclock). The lever attaches to a link rod that goes up to the arch that has the cab latch on it. There is about 2” of travel and the vlave adds enough air to lift the cab about 1” to just above the middle of its travel. First thing to check is the lever on the valve is pointing forward. There are no limits on the lever so it can be spun around, so if the arch has been lifted or displaced, that lever can rotate clockwise as seen from the drivers side and wind up pointing up and back. I have seen this a few times, so Check that first.

if the tanks were full, the AOP should lift the cab up easily and actually start chugging faster as the cab lifts closer to the balance point(less weight on the hydraulic cylinder). Sounds like it may need an overhaul…

Tortuga

The leak location does sounds like the cab air ride height valve. if you look in past the front of the air filter, you should see a blue-grey box about 2” square with a lever in the middle pointing forward(9 Oclock). The lever attaches to a link rod that goes up to the arch that has the cab latch on it. There is about 2” of travel and the vlave adds enough air to lift the cab about 1” to just above the middle of its travel. First thing to check is the lever on the valve is pointing forward. There are no limits on the lever so it can be spun around, so if the arch has been lifted or displaced, that lever can rotate clockwise as seen from the drivers side and wind up pointing up and back. I have seen this a few times, so Check that first.

if the tanks were full, the AOP should lift the cab up easily and actually start chugging faster as the cab lifts closer to the balance point(less weight on the hydraulic cylinder). Sounds like it may need an overhaul…
Thanks I’ll start there. Do you know if I can lift the air ride with the cab up so I can get in there and look for the leak. Or is that a bad idea without the cab weight on the arch.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all. My name is Kyle from Connecticut and I would like to introduce my new 1993 M1078, my children have dubbed Tortuga.
View attachment 898120
I mostly fell into this purchase, to my wife’s displeasure, and at this point have just been reading the forum and pushing every lever and button to see what works and what doesn’t.

So far it runs, drives and stops. Ctis seems to work fine. Winch works. Mode works. Most lights and gauges work. Cab tilts although I had to manually pump after about 80% lift. Had plenty of air but the pump sounded weak and stopped moving. same scenario coming down. Previous owner did a ton of work wiring and modifying the battery box and electrical system.

The bad so far. The tachometer is now working nd the speedometer seems to function but is wayyy off. I attempted the dip switch adjustment only to find I have no dip switches. Here is a terrible photo of the back of my speedo
View attachment 898122
Well that’s about all I have for now. All your posts have been very helpful so far. Can’t wait to see what adventures this beast has in store for me.

Thanks again
It seems like I am little late to the party, but Welcome to the Outfit! Download the owners manual and all the others too for your new-to-you truck. The link is below. Yeah, I know these few thousand pages of writing will put you to sleep in your recliner - but knowing the terminology will make it easier when you want to find/fix something.

The tough part is that what I might describe something as - may not be written that way in the TM's.
<Ctrl> S to search, type in your term and let Acrobat find things -- sometimes.

Prime example of that for the LMTV manuals:

I searched for "Cab Bushing" and I also tried "Biscuit"

The proper term in the TM is "Front Cab Support"

Anyhow, welcome to the group.
Having your family involved is a really big plus!

Congratulations!

Last edited: