• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction and Transmission Question

cpallme

First off I'd like to say thanks to everyone on SS for all the information that has helped so many people with their own MVs.

And now a little info about my CUCV M1009. Picked it up from Camp Shelby back in March with the help of csmdavis (Thanks Jeff!). I've put about 3k miles on it in that time and have done a little work to it: radio, speakers, Duplicolor Bed Liner, 4" Rough Country lift, and, soon as the wheels come in, 35" tires.

Now on to the transmission. Quit shifting on me so i replaced vacuum lines and pump as recommended on here. No luck so i took it to a shop that said a valve was stuck in the governor due to shavings. So now I'm looking for options at either rebuilding the th400 or possibly doing a swap to a 700r4. So my question is which would be better to have with the 35" tires? I am kid of leaning towards the 700r4 so what modifications would I have to do to make it work with the 6.2? Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!

Pictures of the truck (hopefully) following:

Attachments

cucv1833

Looking good! And welcome.

I would run 33" tires with the TH-400 it be alot cheaper and work well. 35s with the 700r4 would be nice but may need to change some gears 3.73? It's how much money you want to spend. You can to some more searching on here in that area.

Good luck

cpallme

I have not regeared but I am looking into it. It depends on the expense of the transmission first before I regear/axle swap

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be disappointed with th 700 and the 3.08 gearing It will be a dog with the 35".

Besides, finding all the parts for the 6.2L install is hard to do. the Throttle Valve cable bracket is like hens teeth to find.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets take a closer look at the tranny thing. You can run a 700 in drive in which it would have the same final drive as the 400. They can be set up to lock the converter in drive too so that will help in the fuel consumption dept. Lastly and most importantly, the 700R4 has a much deeper 3.06 first gear to get you rolling a little easier. Later if you stumble across lower gears, the OD would already be there. I'm going against the grain and voting for the 700R4.

cliffyp

Find a Throttle Valve Bracket before you start down the path of the 700r4. That's a tough part to find and without it you'll be trying to figure out how to fab one. Mess that up and you'll fry you new 700.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a Throttle Valve Bracket before you start down the path of the 700r4. That's a tough part to find and without it you'll be trying to figure out how to fab one. Mess that up and you'll fry you new 700.
Great point. I have 2 but they are slated for my trucks. There is another member on the search. I hit the pick n pay lots weekly and sometimes get lucky. Maybe you can too. I've seen them eclipse the $100 mark on Evilbay. The junkyards have yet to charge me for one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for two years for the TV cable bracket and have found one at the pull-a-part and bought one on fleabay for $50. I was looking longterm and future projects.

And its just not the bracket but the rod that goes along with it. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne pick

GM parts center may have a bracket, part#14038643, rod part#14038642. I searched obsolete GM parts some time ago and GM parts center came up. I got the rod for $4.83. If the bracket search fails, the Jet performance part #700225 at Summit Racing can easily be retrofited to match the original brackets configuration with a little welding and drilling.

cpallme

As an update, I had my th400 rebuilt and the m1009 is running much better than it ever did. Thanks again for everyone's input. :-D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to hear that it is back up and running.

Did you have a shop R&R? What was the cost?

cpallme

I had friend of a friend's brother's shop do the R&R. Took about a week longer than it should've but for the $1150+tax that I paid for it and I can't really complain about the longer wait. I was told that was a pretty good deal for a complete rebuild? Correct me if I am wrong. Plus they changed the t-case fluid for free :-D