• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction/questions

mtrosclair

Good morning, my name is Maurice I am 28 years old and I live near New Orleans La. I could not find a forum for introductions so I figured that I would just work it into my first post. I have so many questions, some of which I was able to answer by searching. This seems like a wondeful site and it has a wealth of information. I am looking to get a m35 but i had no idea there were multiple variants and the price range seems to vary a good bit. Thanks

I want to spend about 4k on a truck, I like the a2 as I want to maintain the manual shift trans, but I like the super single tires. Is it plausable to think that I could obtain a vehicle meeting those parmareters?

I have concerns about theft, being a fairly simple vehicle is it hard to make them theft resistant?

About how much does insurance run?

I'd like a winch but If I get a truck without one can a winch be added without too much modification?

Are there many members in my area, I'd really like to ride in a m35 and maybe drive one before purchasing, I have driven a full size school bus with air brakes so i imagine it would handle similarly?

Is there much maintinace involved assuming one starts with a truck in good condition?

Are there any particular models to shy away from? Reasons?

Im sure I will think of a few more later, Thank you for your responses. M

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes you can put super singles on an A2.

If someone wants to steal something, they are going to, but you can install some things to solw them down.

Insurance cost depends on you.

Yes you can add a winch.

More maint than a new car, but not too much once you have checked the bearings and brakes.

The A3 is more expensive when something breaks, other than that, no.

mhassett

Maurice;
Please PM me as I am in Waldhiem, LA.
I have made all the newbie mistakes, and now make all of the old timer mistakes.
We can get together to discuss.
MHassett

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the craziness.

Here are a couple of thread to get you going.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/55552-cost-ownership-real-cost-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/57814-thinking-about-building-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40906-i-want-my-first-deuce-soon-where-do-i-start.html

Almost every question have and will have, has been discussed multiple times.

One of the best recommendations I can make is to open up the Deuce forum and go to the first post and start reading. There is more information than you can imagine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
One of the best recommendations I can make is to open up the Deuce forum and go to the first post and start reading. There is more information than you can imagine.

Heck, with 815 pages of threads(in the deuce forum only), he will be older than PB by the time he gets done reading!

SteveKuhn

Allow me to state my credentials to comment on your $ target and features:

1. I bought my 1st Deuce (actually 1st MV) last August totally blind to the hobby or truck. I read none of the excellent threads recommended above before I did it to advise my purchase. I paid for it without ever driving a Deuce, let alone the one I bought.

I got a good truck by checking out the seller through 3 or so connections in the local Good 'Ole Boy network but mostly dumb luck. I might have paid $1000 or so above the going rate in the classifieds but I think it was good insurance and it has turned out fine so far in spite of myself. I did pay more than you say you want to.

2. I'm less than 24 hours clean and sober of 'Gotta Have an M37 NOW!!!-itis', having taken my last call from a seller at about 8:20 last night. I expect to be tempted to fall off the wagon when his photos arrive later today or tomorrow. But I'll look at 'em with a lot more educated eye than I looked at the 2 on Ebay that I (rightly) I think passed on. I'm practicing my own advice as I get through not buying one, one ad at a time.

In short, decide what you want to do with it (parades/shows? mudding/trails/offroad?). Buy the best base truck you can find for your target that has what you really want and need (troop seats? bows/tarp? winch? Well documented service record from a trustworthy private seller?) Assess your mechanical skills and resources. Don't buy low if you can't wrench big 'n heavy or pay somebody to do it. Don't pay for a nice-to-have if it means settling for something that might fail and leave you stranded or take a half dozen other things with it.

Shop the classifieds and dealer lists to figger out what that truck and those add ons are gonna cost. In my case, I got a real education on the downside of buying an M37 without seats and bows and a couple of other things. I was used to trailer rack and bow supply and costs.

There WILL be unanticipated expenses. You might decide to trade off the 11.00s and anything that you can add later after you've made real good friends with your truck, trust it much as you can a 40/50 year old beast and had a couple doses of great fun quick gratification.

There's one in the classifieds that would be a good case study even if it's out of your price range and you don't hanker for a gun ring.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vehicles-sale/82562-m35a2-whistler-air-shift-m66-gun-ring-radials.html

Check out the published condition, back out the prices of the stuff you don't really need or want, and see what is a reasonable budget, +/-.

Compare to others.

May lady luck be perched on your shoulder with an even bigger smile than she gives to me.

Steve:popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks