• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction to Steel Soldiers

arno

Hey Folks,
I brought my Deuce home around three weeks ago, time for an introduction...
It seems the truck has left the army around 1998 and had various private owners since.
Got it from a guy who runs a shop around US trucks where I once mentioned that if he had a decent cargo truck, I would be interested...
My first contact with this sort of trucks was two years ago when a mate bought one, but I had to finish some work on our house first, before I could think about getting one...
Sooo, here it is, although it looks quite good on the pics, there are corrosion issues, but not too bad for a truck that is 46 years old... and I know how to use a welder...
I had some problems with jerking at partial load, but thanks to Steel Soldiers, I got pointed into the right direction, a fuel filter change did it...
So, in the next few weeks, I will go through the maintenance schedule and in winter, it is time for some restoration work...

Let that old piece of iron roll

Arno

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome from Kansas, there are several members over by you that have done some neat things to the Deuce.

tommys2patrick

Good pics Arno! And welcome again from Colorado. I did a hitch in the Army in Pirmasens. Beautiful country. Keep us posted as to your work progress. I was wondering if the folks at the "registration/license plate bureau" made it very difficult to get plates? It can be challenging here in the states sometimes.

arno

It was not very difficult... I had a test report from the 'TÜV' (the authority that checks cars bi-annually to see if they are roadworthy) stating my truck was a classic car. That is why I have the trailing 'H' on my licence plate - which also means the truck insures for something around 160€ per year and the motor vehicle tax is 191€ per year (which is very cheap in Germany, especially for a truck. The motor vehicle tax for my VW Minivan is aroung 600€...). The only thing that took us some time on registration was the fact that the original title was no longer existent (or maybe there never was one when the truck was released from the army). The truck had been run on red 'collectors registration plates' by the previous owners, which means the authorities dont check title and stuff, but the use of the truck is very limited. Whereas with the 'H'-registration, I can run the truck whenever I want and ould even use it commercially...

SteveKuhn

Very nice entry into the hobby. Those plates are better than our historic plates.

And to quote my friend Art: "Of course it's got rust. It's a DEUCE!"

Welcome from NJ.

Steve