• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iola 2015 convoy planning

nchittendon

Iola will be Saturday August 8th and Sunday August 9th in 2015.

My son and I plan to travel over from La Crosse, WI on Thursday. We will have one other deuce with us for sure.

HendersonD has said that he will travel with us, so we are at three from La Crosse to Tomah.

Briefly talked with Peashooter and he mentioned wanting to go. If he can put something together from Minnesota and meet up with us in Tomah, we can get a heck of a group going.

Anyone else from western wisconsin/minnesota looking for others to run over there with? Let's start putting together a convoy!!

tcruwithme

If Peashooter or someone else from MN goes, I am also in. I'll drive my 1985 M35A2C and M105A2 down from St. Cloud, MN. Will the convoy be arriving on Friday, August 7, or early morning on Saturday, August 8?

~ Thad

nchittendon

My plan is to arrive on Thursday evening. That's the only hang up. I'm not sure too many will be able to get that kind of time off. However, this little trip is for my son and I mainly. I know the show itself isn't until saturday/sunday. But I want to show him the camaraderie that is to be had at events like this. Getting there early and hearing some of the campfire build stories is what is it's all about.

HOWEVER, if the majority is making the trip on Friday, I can adjust my schedule accordingly to keep a larger group together.

Last edited:

nchittendon

Quick question, what does everyone recommend for routing? For the first leg from my home I can run about 50 miles on a 2 lane highway, or Interstate. The 2 lane highway is a higher traffic flow 2 lane, but there are towns about 10 miles apart the whole way. Alternatively, the stretch of interstate is relatively NOT as busy as most. So do we run the interstate where there is plenty of room for traffic to get around us EVEN THOUGH we are probably averaging around 50-55 mph?? Or do we take the two lane which is closer to our speed (posted anyways) but traffic will have a harder time overtaking us?
The second part of that thought is; on the interstate we at least have a large shoulder in case we have a break down. on the 2 lane, it varies.

nchittendon

Ok, so my primary route if I were to stay on the interstate as much as possible would be this:
main route.jpg

That route is 153 miles. There are plenty of opportunities to stop and stretch, and inspect the trucks.

If I were to try to stick to 2 lane roads as much as possible, this would be my route:
all 2 lane route.jpg

This route is 134 miles. This route doesn't offer as many safe places to get off the road way. I'm not AS familiar with this route as I am the big road.

For those coming from west of the twin cities, here is what your suggested route is:
st cloud route.jpg

From St. Cloud, you're looking at 294 miles. That is if you follow I94 to Osseo, then cut straight east.
I would love for your group and my group to meet up in Tomah, but I understand that is out of your way by 55 miles. I personally plan to stick to the route going through Tomah because I may be buying an M105 just east of there on my way to Iola (if I don't have it before then).

Now, depending on your schedules up in Minnesota, you could always drop down through Rochester, MN and link up with us in La Crosse. Then we all convoy from here.
st cloud long route.jpg

Not an ideal route for you guys, I know. But if the convoy was part of your interest, this might be the best bet. This route is 371 miles. Mostly all 4 lane highway and interstate.

Just some ideas.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what path or when I can head out, but I'm going. We should see if we can have someone on standby with a low boy if someone breaks down. If someone has problems we can at least get them off the road and to one of our places for repairs.
Don't even ask me why I think like this...

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the map, I'm probably going to take Hwy 54 out of Black River Falls after work. Iola is 100 miles from there.

nchittendon

Just touching base to keep this little trip in people's minds. Ok, just so I keep it in my mind really.

At Iola, is there fire rings for bon-fires? What sort of facilities (showers, bathrooms, etc?)

tcruwithme

2015 Iola registration Form

Look what came in the mail today. I've been there the past two years, but this year will be the first year I bring my truck. How exactly does that work for registering for a space? Do you request an area, or do they assign you an area? Do you guys camp in your truck? Anything I need to know before I call them?

I looked all day, and didn't find these answers in the TM :)

Iola.jpg

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually just show up and they ask me where I want to set up and show me the map of open swap spaces. If you don't want to set up for a swap meet space they have a row where they display trucks usually for free.
I don't know if I'm going to bring any parts this year. I only have M211/M135 stuff.

nchittendon

You'll be coming right through my home town. If we stay in communication, we would love to meet up. What are you driving? I met you last year, but don't remember what you were driving.

6x6guy

A couple of us are getting up there on Monday ( very peaceful and tranquil before the rift raft gets there ) enjoy taking a coupe of naps - enjoy some great food and have some fun with good friends - just kick back- life has to be enjoyed while you can because nobody else can do it for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks