• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iowa : registration/insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikallen

Ok, I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. I wanted to narrow down this question to Iowa Deuce owners. Pending EUC, I will be bringing home a m109.

For Iowa owners.

What was your experience with insurance and registration for your deuce?
Was the gvwr a problem with no cdl?

I got an online quote at Hagarty, but I will not be storing it in a garage. Gulfway says 170 a year, not sure what to think about that for a company. My current vehicles are under Progressive, but I read they will not insure the deuce. I will talk to a State Farm rep near my house. Who are you using, what was your cost?

Thanks

Gastrap

Welcome to the addiction!

I have State Farm for around $3.50/month with all my multi policy & no claim discounts.

By law, you need a chauffeur D2 unless its for farm use. This covers non-commercial straight truck > 16,000 but < 26,001 GVWR. A 5 ton would require a CDL-B ( >26,001 )

I know several people who have a regular class C & never get hassled. I just did the test & got it over with just in case....easy

As far as registration, I bought a 10 ton licence to save some $$ but still be able to haul my tractor. It's $235/year.

rat4spd

I'm registered 11 ton for around $275 or so. You get 10% fudge factor. Insurance is a commercial policy through State Farm for about $35/month.

I have yet to get a Class D.

wikallen

Well, since I plan to use the 109 as basically an RV, I wonder if I can classify it as an RV? Not that the class d is an issue, just trying to make this simple as possible.

Last edited:

Gastrap

Well, since I plan to use the 109 as basically an RV, I wonder if I can classify it as an RV? Not that the class d is an issue, just trying to make this simple as possible.

I checked into the RV classification when I bought my M35-no go for mine.

You would probably pass with the 109 IF you went ahead & added a flushing toilet, running water with tanks, and retained the 120 volt electrical system. The book stated all these must be permanently installed. Can't just throw a bucket in the corner & hang an extension cord on the wall:mrgreen:

wikallen

I checked into the RV classification when I bought my M35-no go for mine.

You would probably pass with the 109 IF you went ahead & added a flushing toilet, running water with tanks, and retained the 120 volt electrical system. The book stated all these must be permanently installed. Can't just throw a bucket in the corner & hang an extension cord on the wall:mrgreen:

I was looking for the book on that, a bummer. I was going to throw in the cook stove, and the porta-pooper and call it good.

Guess it will have to be licensed as is for now, as it will take time to do the full RV treatment

SirFuzzy

I have my M109a3 lisenced as a Class C motor home flex fuel. In Iowa you only need 110 volt power, heat and cooking-refrig all separate from the 24 volt electric system. At you court house you get a form and it gives you 6 or so option and you have to have 3 out of them to qualify.
My registration is 80 dollars a year they don't care about weight. Insurance is thro Wadena Insurance Company it's about 10 dollars a mo.

wikallen

I have my M109a3 lisenced as a Class C motor home flex fuel. In Iowa you only need 110 volt power, heat and cooking-refrig all separate from the 24 volt electric system. At you court house you get a form and it gives you 6 or so option and you have to have 3 out of them to qualify.
My registration is 80 dollars a year they don't care about weight. Insurance is thro Wadena Insurance Company it's about 10 dollars a mo.

Really? Do you know what this form is called? My registration needs to be renewed this month, and $80 is much better then $230.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks